Instructions and Rules along Nordkalottleden Trail
Instructions on Exploring Nordkalottleden Trail
Restrictions in Malla Strict Nature Reserve
In Malla Strict Nature Reserve hikers must stay on marked trails. It is also advisable to look through all other strict nature reserve rules and regulations before entering the area.
Nordkalottleden Trail crosses over national borders at several points. Hikers should make sure that they are not carrying any items which you would need to declare in customs. Those wanting to take their dogs on their hike should contact Finnish Customs (tulli.fi) well in advance. Contact the Finnish Food Safety Authority (evira.fi) for information on mandatory vaccinations and certificates.
Mobile Phone Coverage
- Although Finland has a broad network for mobile phones, there are some areas in the Nordkalottleden Trail without signal. There may also be some smaller spots where there is interference. If this happens try to climb to a higher place or go into an open area. It may be worth removing the SIM card from your phone and then trying again to make emergency call. Different phones also differ in their coverage.
- We recommend that you keep your mobile phone warm at all times and take along food and drink. Certain phone models do not work when the temperature falls below zero. You should therefore let someone know your planned route. To keep your mobile phone charged, bring along a spare power source, a spare battery or an old phone with a working battery.
- We recommend that you never set out on a trek alone. Please sign your name in the guest book at each wilderness hut and write an entry on your planned route and next destination. This way it will be easier to find you, if you lose your way.
- If you face an emergency on your hike, e.g. get lost, get injured or observe wildfire, call 112 and report an emergency. More information on how to act in an emergency.
- Make sure you pack a first-aid kit.
- Hiking in Finland:
When hiking Nordkalottleden Trail you should have a map, a compass and a good supply of food as the distances between etapes are long. You will also need sturdy hiking shoes and warm clothing. Make sure you pack a first-aid kit.
Weather conditions in Käsivarsi Wilderness Area tend to change suddenly and drastically. It may snow and be freezing cold during the middle of summer.
Although there are open wilderness huts along the trail, there is no guarantee that there will be space for you on them, especially during peak season. It is best to bring your own tent. A camping cooker is also necessary as many people can not cook in wilderness huts at the same time and there are no campfire sites on the trail between wilderness huts. For the most part Nordkalottleden Trail leads across treeless fells and there are e.g. no fallen branches to use as firewood.
The Finnish part of Nordkalottleden Trail is a summer hiking trail. The trail is busiest during August and September. During winter it is possible to ski from Kilpisjärvi to Halti Fell, but there is no marked skiing trail between the two.
112 Suomi - mobile application
When an emergency call is being made through the 112 Suomi - mobile application (112.fi) the dispatcher will automatically receive the callers position.
It is recommended to keep the mobile phone warm and to bring extra food and water with you. There are many excursion locations with no mobile coverage and some mobile phones does not work in sub-zero temperatures, that is why it is always a good idea to let someone know about your itinerary and timetable.