Karkali Strict Nature Reserve is located on Cape Karkalinniemi, on the western side of the road 1070 (Lohja - Sammatti).
To get to Karkali, you have to drive either via the municipality of Sammatti (the village of Myllykylä) or via the town of Lohja.
- From the towncentre of Lohja, drive on the road 1070 about 10 km towards Sammatti, after which turn left following the sign "Karkali 8 km". At the end of the public road, continue on Karkalintie road. The parking area of the strict nature reserve is at the end of this road.
- You can get to the town of Lohja, for example, from the road 25 (Hanko - Hyvinkää).
- From Sammatti, drive on the road 1070 about 8 km towards Lohja, after which turn left following the sign "Karkali 8 km". At the end of the public road, continue on Karkalintie road. The parking area of the strict nature reserve is at the end of this road.
- You can get to the municipality of Sammatti, for example, by driving on the road 1, E18 (Turku - Helsinki) and then turning onto the road 104 (from Turku), following the signs to Sammatti.
- From the road 1, E18 (Turku - Helsinki), you can also turn at the St1 petrol station in Saukkola onto the road 1072 (to Saukkola), and after about 10 km turn left towards the town of Lohja (road 1070).
- If coming from the municipality of Karjalohja, drive on the road 104 towards Sammatti, and then towards Saukkola. Turn right to the town of Lohja (road 1070).
For more detailed parking area address, please see below under Starting Points for Excursions.
By Public Transport
- The nearest busstop (Karkali th) is located along Lohja - Sammatti road, about 8 km from the strict nature reserve. There is a daily coach service between Lohja and Sammatti.
- There is a daily coach connection to the town of Lohja from Helsinki and Turku, for example.
- Timetables (www.matkahuolto.fi)
Starting Points for Excursions
The parking area of Karkali Strict Nature Reserve (Karkalintie 1035, Lohja (Karjalohja)) is located on the eastern edge of the area. The trail, which goes around the area, starts at the same place.
In Karkali Strict Nature Reserve, it is not allowed to walk outside the marked trail, so you don´t necessarily need a map to orientate yourself. However, there is a map in the Karkali brochure, or you can print out the map above.
- Terrain map L411, 1:50 000. The map is sold by Karttakeskus and the National Land Survey of Finland.
- Terrain maps, number 2023 07 (strict nature reserve) and 2023 10 (the rest of Cape Karkalinniemi). The maps are sold by Karttakeskus and the National Land Survey of Finland.
- Uusimaa tiekartta: Uusimaa Road Map, 1:150 000, 2011.The maps are sold by Karttakeskus and well-stocked bookstores.
- GT tiekartta Etelä-Suomi: GT Roadmap Finland South, 2010, 1:250 000. The maps are sold by Karttakeskus and well-stocked bookstores.
- Forest map 1-2, 1:250 000.
Map Sales Points