Karhunkierros Trail Directions and Maps
Hautajärvi village (Hautajärventie 414):
- To reach the northern starting point for the Karhunkierros Trail from Salla, take road 950 from Salla towards Kuusamo and drive for 41 km.
- If approaching from Kuusamo, take the E63/5 north (Kemijärventie) and drive for 36 km, then turn right towards Salla (road 950). After 33 km, turn right, and after one kilometre, you'll see the visitor centre by the road on the right.
Savilampi Parking Area:
- From Salla, take road 950 south and drive for 46 km, until you turn left onto Urriaavantie. Please note that road 950 turns left 2 km earlier at Hautajärvi. Continue along Urriaavantie for 4 km and turn right. After the crossroads, continue 1 km and turn left, then drive 5,5 km along the Savilampi forest road until the parking area, where the road ends.
- From Kuusamo, take the E63 north and drive for 36 km, then turn right onto Sallantie (950). Stay on this road for 30.5 km until you turn right onto Urriaavantie. For the rest of the way, please see above. The Urriaavantie crossroads and all crossroads after it have signposts to the Oulanka Canyon.
The Ristikallio Starting Point (Sallantie 174):
- From Salla, take road 950 south and drive for 59 km, until you see a parking area by the road on the left. Please note that the road turns left at Hautajärvi.
- From Kuusamo, take the E63 north and drive for 36 km, then turn right onto Sallantie (950). Drive for 17.5 km, at which point the parking area is visible on the right-hand side of the road. The distance from the village of Käylä to the Ristikallio parking area is 12 km. There are signs directing visitors to the Karhunkierros Trail when coming from either direction.
Oulanka Visitor Centre (Liikasenvaarantie 132):
- From Salla, take road 950 south and drive for 70 km (please note that the road turns left at Hautajärvi) to Käylä village. There you turn left onto Liikasenvaarantie (please note that the road turns left at Hautajärvi). Continue for 13 km, and you will see the visitor centre just before the Oulankajoki bridge.
- From Kuusamo, take the E63 north and drive for 36 km, then turn right onto Sallantie (950). Stay on this road for 6 km until you turn right onto Liikasenvaarantie in Käylä village. Continue for 13 km, and you will see the visitor centre just before the Oulankajoki bridge. The route is signposted with Oulanka National Park and Kiutaköngäs signposts from the E63 and Sallantie crossroads.
Oulanka National Park Camping Ground (Liikasenvaarantie 137):
- First follow the directions to the Oulanka Visitor Centre. From there, continue along Liikasenvaarantie for another 350 m and turn left at the camping ground sign. The distance to the camping ground is about 700 m.
Juuma (Juumantie 134):
- From Salla, take road 950 south and drive until you reach the end (77 km). There, you turn left onto the E63. After 2.3 km, you turn left again onto road 18897. Stay on this road for 13 km, until the road ends in a parking area. About 200 m before the end of the road (the red Retki-Etappi buildings and the starting point for the Pieni Karhunkierros Trail), there is a signpost to the parking area on the left.
- If approaching from Kuusamo, take the E63/5 north (Kemijärventie) and drive for 33.5 km, then turn right towards the village of Juuma (road 18897). For the rest of the way, please see above. From the E63, there are signposts to Juuma and the Pieni Karhunkierros Trail.
Ruka (Hiihtostadionintie 3a):
If you want to start the Karhunkierros Trail from Ruka and arrive with your own car, it is recommended to leave the car to Hiihtostadionitie Parking. From Hiihtostadionintie you can take an esclator to Ruka Village, where it is possible either to start the Karhunkierros Trail or take a bus to Hautajärvi and Ristikallio starting points.
- To get from Salla to Ruka, first drive to the end of road 950 (77 km) and then turn left onto the E63. After 10.5 km, turn left again onto Rukatunturintie (road 8691, there is a market at the intersection) and continue for 500 m. Then turn left to the Talvijärventie road and then to right to the Hiihtostadionintie road. After 700m, there is a parking area on the left. From the parking area you can take an escalator to the Ruka Village. The starting/ending point for the Karhunkierros Trail is located behind Piste, a local restaurant.
- From Kuusamo, take the E63 and drive for 25 km, until you turn right onto Rukatunturintie. For the rest of the way, please see above.
By Public Transportation
Busses travel to Oulanka National Park from Salla and Kuusamo.
The Karhunkierros Bus drives on schooldays via Ruka, Juuma, Käylä, Ristikallio parking area and Hautajärvi. Connections to Oulanka Visitor Centre and Juuma vary on different times of the year.
The Airport Bus connection from almost every Kuusamo Airport's scheduled flights to Salla via Ruka, Käylä, Ristikallio parking area and Hautajärvi is available also for others than flight passengers.
- The Karhunkierros bus timetables (ruka.fi)
- The Airport bus timetables (visitsalla.fi)
- Kuusamo airport (finavia.fi)
- The towns of Oulu, Rovaniemi and Kemijärvi can be reached by train. Timetables here (vr.fi).
- The most frequent bus connection to Kuusamo is from the town of Oulu, timetables (matkahuolto.fi)
- Matka.fi (opas.matka.fi) provides information on public transportation to Oulanka.
Karhunkierros Trail Taxi
During summer there are special destination taxis from Kuusamo and Ruka for a smaller fare than in general. More information: Taxicenter Kuusamo-Ruka (ruka.fi).
Starting Points for Excursions
- Hautajärvi Village, former Karhunkierros Visitor Centre (road address, Hautajärventie 414)
- Oulanka Visitor Centre at Kiutaköngäs (road address, Liikasenvaarantie 132)
- Juuma Village (road address, Juumantie 134)
- The parking area at Ristikallio by road 950 (road address, Sallantie 174)
- Ruka Ski Centre behind restaurant Piste (road address, Rukankyläntie 17)
- Ruka Oulanka Bear's Trail (Karhunkierros Trail) Waterproof Outdoor Map, 1:50 000 / 1:25 000, Karttakeskus 2017. The map is sold by Oulanka Visitor Centre and Kuusamo Customer Service Karhuntassu, Karttakeskus and well-stocked bookstores.
- Salla Address and recreation map, 1:100 000. National Land Survey of Finland 2013.
- Peruskarttalehdet: Base maps / terrain maps 4611: 12, 4613: 03, 05, 06, 08, 09, 4614: 01, 04, 07, 1:20 000. Maps are sold by Karttakeskus.
- Basic maps T5312 Juuma, T5321 Liikasenvaara, 1:25 000. Maps are sold by well-stocked bookstores, Karttakeskus and the National Land Survey of Finland.
- Terrain maps 4613 Rukatunturi, 4614 Selkälä, 1:50 000. The maps are sold by Karttakeskus, the National Land Survey of Finland, District Survey Office and by well-stocked bookstores.
- Terrain maps T531 Juuma, T532 Hautajärvi, 1:50 000. Maps are sold by well-stocked bookstores, Karttakeskus and the National Land Survey of Finland, District Survey Offices.
- Outdoor GT Northern Finland, 2016, 1:400 000. Map is sold by Karttakeskus and well-stocked bookstores.
- Pieni Karhunkierros: map. Metsähallitus 2009. The map is sold by Oulanka Visitor Centre.
- Karhunkierros Trail, water resistant map, 1:25 000, Calazo Förlag 2016. Map is sold for example by Oulanka Visitor Centre.
- Kuusamo Waterproof Outdoor Map, 1:100 000, Karttakeskus 2017. The map is sold by Oulanka Visitor Centre and Kuusamo Customer Service Karhuntassu, Karttakeskus and well-stocked bookstores.
Map Sales Points
- Hautajärvi village: Hautajärventie 414, Hautajärvi
- Ristikallio parking area: Sallantie 174, Kuusamo
- Oulanka Visitor Centre: Liikasenvaarantie 132, Kuusamo
- Juuma parking area: Juumantie 134, Kuusamo
- Ruka: Hiihtostadionintie 3a, Rukatunturi
Parking area addresses are in Finnish to be used in navigators.