Hiidenportti National Park is located in the southeast corner of the municipality of Sotkamo, on the boundaries of the municipalities of Kuhmo and Valtimo.
- A small signposted road leads to Palolampi information point in the north of the National Park from road 76, which runs between Sotkamo and Kuhmo. The road passes by Tipasoja.
- To Palolampi information point leads another small signposted road from road 5284, which runs between Kuhmo and Valtimo.
- For navigator use the address Hiidenportintie 86, Sotkamo.
- Visitors can also get to the National Park from Käärmesärkkä and Urpovaara parking areas, which are on road 5284. There are marked trails from the parking areas into Hiidenportti National Park.
The road Hiidenportintie leading to Palolampi information point is ploughed in winter. However, you should be aware of sudden snowfalls.
The road leading to Urpovaara is not ploughed.
For more detailed parking area addresses, please see below under Starting Points for Excursions.
By Public Transportation
There is no public transportation to Hiidenportti National Park.
Starting Points for Excursions
- The National Park's parking areas are located at Palolampi (main information point, Hiidenportintie 86) and at Urpovaara and Käärmesärkkä on road 5284, which runs between Kuhmo and Valtimo.
- Starting Points for Trails
- These free brochures are available in Petola Visitor Centre and in many tourist attractions in Sotkamo and Vuokatti:
- Hiidenportti National Park brochure. The trails in Hiidenportti National Park are clearly marked. To explore the park all you will need the Hiidenportti National Park brochure (julkaisut.metsa.fi), which has a small map of the area.
- A brochure: "Hiidenportti National Park Daytrails" includes information and a routemap for the 5 km long Hiidenkierros and 10.5 km long Kitulankierros. The brochure "Hiidenportti National Park Daytrails" (julkaisut.metsa.fi) also gives information on longer hiking possibilities from Hiidenportti to Teerisuo - Lososuo Mire protection area and Peurajärvi recreation area (in Finnish).
- A booklet Hiidenportti Through the Ages gives information on the interesting cultural history of the area. Most of the historical points are situated by the hiking trails, but some of them are outside the trails. The booklet (julkaisut.metsa.fi) includes a map. The coordinates of the map have been presented according to EUREF-FIN, which corresponds to WGS-84.
- Outdoor map Vuokatti ja Kainuun kansallispuistot (Vuokatti and Kainuu National Parks), 1:25 000. Karttakeskus 2015. Map is sold by Kuhmo Visitor Centre Petola, Karttakeskus and well-stocked bookstores.
- Terrain map Q532 Lauvuskylä, 1:50 000. Map is sold by well-stocked bookstores, Karttakeskus and the National Land Survey of Finland.
- Terrain map Q5321 Peurajärvi, 1:25 000. Map is sold by well-stocked bookstores, Karttakeskus and the National Land Survey of Finland.
- Terrain map number 4322 Puukari, 1:50 000. The map can be purchased from Karttakeskus, the National Land Survey of Finland and well-stocked bookshops.
- Maastokartat / terrain maps 4322 08, 4322 11 and 4322 12, 1:20 000. The maps are sold by Petola Visitor Centre, the National Land Survey of Finland and well-stocked bookstores.
- Retkeily GT Itä-Suomi: GT Outdoor map Finland East, 2014, 1:250 000. The maps are sold by Karttakeskus and well-stocked bookstores.
Map Sales Points