The Välimaa River Sámi Farm is open at all hours. The buildings are locked but the farmyard is open for visitors.
The farm is easiest to explore when there is no snow on the ground. The lay-by about 300 metres away from the farm is maintained by the road authorities, even in winter.
The Sámi Farm is open to visitors free of charge.
- Address: Nuorgamintie 2446, 99980 Utsjoki.
- The Välimaa Sámi Farm is managed by Metsähallitus. Customer service:
- A notification must be submitted to Metsähallitus of any events organised at the site: instructions and a form (www.metsa.fi, in Finnish)
- Research and other activities not covered by the "Right of Public Access" (also known as "Everyman's rights" in Finland, and the "Right to Roam" in the UK) requires permission from the landowner (instructions and form, www.metsa.fi, in Finnish).
Directions and Maps
Välimaa Sámi Farm is situated on the River Teno in northernmost Lapland, halfway between the villages of Utsjoki and Nuorgam. Välimaa is along the Utsjoki–Nuorgam road, 24 kilometres from Utsjoki.
- Drive along road 970 (Utsjoki-Nuorgam) 24 kilometres from Utsjoki or around 19 kilometres from Nuorgam.
- Välimaa River Sámi Farm is signposted. A path runs to the farmyard from the lay-by on the road next to the farm.
By Public Transport
- GT Outdoor Map Finland North, 2011, 1:400 000. The maps are sold by Karttakeskus and well-stocked bookstores.