Customer Service and Guidance
Meals, Where to Buy and Prepare
You can buy food for your hike from Vuotso's village shop or from the shops and service stations located in the nearby area or from tourism entrepreneurs in Saariselkä (www.saariselka.fi).
Campfire Sites, Huts and Campfire Shelter
- In the Sompio Strict Nature Reserve lighting a campfire is only allowed on designated campfire sites.
- There are five designated campfire sites in the reserve. Campfire sites are:
- The Nalijoki lean-to shelter, a woodshed and a dry toilet.
- Lake Sompiojärvi: two campfire sites, a lean-to shelter, a Lapp 'kota' hut, a dry toilet, a woodshed and a household water well.
- On the Pyhä-Nattanen Summit: a day trip hut and a dry toilet.
- At the foot of Terävä-Nattanen Fell: a campfire site and a woodshed.
- The locations of the structures can be found on the excursionmap.fi web-page.
- Lighting campfires is forbidden everywhere when a forest fire warning is in effect, this includes the designated campfire sites and the fireplaces at the open lean-to shelters. During the driest period it is recommended that fires be not made in the fireplaces at homes or huts, either.
- The use of a camping stove is always allowed. There is a saw and an axe in the woodshed at the campfire sites.
- You can find instructions for lighting a campfire on the Hiking in Finland webpages.
- The water in the ponds, brooks and rivers in the area is usually drinkable but the waterways have not been tested. It is therefore recommended that drinking water be boiled. There is a household water well by Lake Sompiojärvi. For tips on drinking water, please see the Hiking in Finland pages.
- In the Sompio Strict Nature Reserve you must take care of waste disposal yourself. Biodegradable waste should be placed in a toilet or composter, and small amounts of clean paper and cardboard can be used as kindling in a campfire. Take all other waste from the hike with you.
- There is a waste bin point by Lake Sompiojärvi.
- Read more on Hiking Without Littering
- There is a dry toilet by the River Nalijoki.
- There is a dry toilet by Lake Sompiojärvi.
- There is a dry toilet close to the day trip hut located on the Pyhä-Nattanen Summit.
- There is no dry toilet by the campfire site located at the foot of Terävä-Nattanen Fell.
Camping, Lean-to Shelters and Campfire Shelter
Camping in the Sompio Strict Nature Reserve is only allowed on the shores of Lake Sompiojärvi, and you may stay there for a maximum of three days at one time. Making a campfire in the Sompio Strict Nature Reserve is only allowed at designated campfire sites. There is a lean-to shelter, a Lapp 'kota' hut and campfire sites on the shore of Lake Sompiojärvi, which can be used for overnight stays.
Services for the Disabled
- There are no trails or services in the Sompio Strict Nature Reserve suitable for the disabled.
Lodging, equipment rental and other Services in the surrounding area
You can find more information on the services provided in the nearby area on the following websites: