What can one do in the Simojärvi and Soppana Areas?
Walk on Marked Trails
The Simojärvi and Soppana areas are great destinations for hiking. There are 31 km of marked trails in the areas. There are circle trails as well as others of varying length. Of these the best known one is the Korouoma - Simojärvi Hiking Route.
Go Wilderness Trekking
The area's hiking trails are great for shorter wilderness treks. There are good service structures along the trails. Hikers can stay overnight in lean-to shelter or tents. By combining short trails or by wandering off the trails it is possible to go on longer treks in the Simojärvi and Soppana areas. The Korouoma - Simojärvi Hiking Route leads through the areas.
Go Canoeing and Rowing
Simojärvi is an excellent destination for on water excursions. It is possible to go on excursions lasting one or more days. You can get your boat into the water at various places. There are four official boat launch points. Lake Yli-Soppananjärvi is well-suited for canoeing. Canoes are easy to lower into the water at the parking area near the camping area.
Go Canoe Trekking
The beautiful landscape at Lake Simojärvi and its clear water make this a wonderful destination for boating excursions. Boaters can stay overnight in the area's lean-to shelters, near lean-to shelters in their own tents or in the open wilderness hut on Kenttäsaari Island. Also found in the area is Lamanginsaari Island campfire shelter, which is suited for overnight stays. Canoeists can paddle from Lake Simojärvi along the River Simojoki all the way to the Bothnian Bay.
Boats may be lowered into the water at various points, but there are four official boat launch points in the area.
Go Sailing or Motor Boating
In Lake Simojärvi there are marked water-routes intended for boating. The lake is challenging for boaters. We recommend that you do not stray from the marked routes, as there are numerous reefs, rocks and shallow spots. We also recommend that boaters have the Simojärvi viittakartta (boating map). There are no actual landing points at the rest spots on the islands and therefore going ashore may be difficult with larger boats.
There are four boat launch points: Pohjaslahti, Simontaival, Korvajokisuu and Simojärvi fishing harbour. The boat launch point at Korvajokisuu is not suited for larger boats, but smaller motor boats and sailboats should fit there.
Go Bird Watching
There are no official bird watching towers or other structures in the areas. The area's bird population however is diverse and there are many natural points from where to observe for example around Lake Simojärvi.
See the Sights and Scenery
There are no official scenic lookout points, but Paasonvaara scenic trail has a wonderful view. On the east side of Lake Tuppilampi on Simojärvi Hiking Trail there is a hill with open cliffs. The view from the cliffs is gorgeous.
Ski Cross-country off Trails
There are not marked ski trails in the Simojärvi and Soppana areas, but skiing is allowed in all parts of the areas.
Go Ski Trekking
Simojärvi, the area surrounding it and the service structures found there make the area a good destination for ski treks. Longer treks on skis can be carried out on the areas hiking trails or on the ice covering Lake Simojärvi. There are no marked ski trails in the area, but snowmobile tracks can be skied along.
Lake Simojärvi and the surrounding area's numerous other lakes, as well as small rivers are well suited for fishing. Hook and line fishing and icefishing are allowed as Everyman's Rights (www.ymparisto.fi) in the area's lakes. Fishing permits are sold for the Simojärvi area.
- Simojärvi recreational fishing area, permit area 2587 (www.eraluvat.fi). For this area permits are sold that are valid for one day, for one week or the whole season. As well as having a local fishing permit fishers must have paid the national fishing management fee (www.eraluvat.fi). Permits can be bought from Metsähallitus netstore (www.eräluvat.fi).
- Permits for fishing with a net in waters owned by Metsähallitus can be bought from Metsähallitus netstore (www.eräluvat.fi).
- Fishing is allowed in the lakes, ponds and streams surrounding Lake Simojärvi if you have the Metsähallitus' lure fishing permit. Places not part of the permit area are Lake Simojärvi, the rivers flowing into Lake Simojärvi (the Rivers Vohonjoki, Paasonjoki, Penämönjoki, Korvajoki and Soppananjoki). These are breeding waters for different types of salmon.
- The Metsähallitus' lure fishing permit can be bought from Metsähallitus netstore (www.eräluvat.fi).
- To fish in Lake Yli-Soppananjärvi you must have purchased the Rosamo - Yli-Soppananjärvi fishing permit (permit area 2015). Permits can be bought from Metsähallitus netstore (www.eräluvat.fi).
- As well as having a local fishing permit fishers must have paid the national fishing management fee (www.eraluvat.fi).
- Fishers need to check the restrictions on fishing sites at kalastusrajoitus.fi (In Finnish).
The area's hunting grounds are especially well suited for hunting forest tetraonids. Permanent residents of the municipality of Ranua have the right to hunt in the according to hunting law 8 §. Non residents may purchase a Metsähallitus small game hunting permit for the municipality of Ranua for the bird hunting season permit area 2619. Permits can be bought from Metsähallitus netstore (www.eräluvat.fi).
Bear hunting can be practiced in the reindeer herding area according to a given quota. Visitors to the area may purchase a personal bear hunting permit for the Metsähallitus managed area. Permits can be bought from Metsähallitus netstore (www.eräluvat.fi).
Local moose hunting associations may use the area's state-owned lands for hunting moose.
Go Berry and Mushroom Picking
Picking berries and mushrooms is allowed in the Simojärvi and Soppana areas. There are numerous cloudberry-filled mires, which are easy to reach. Blueberries, cranberries and mushrooms are also quite abundant in the areas.
There are no official beaches in the areas but there are numerous sandy shores which are suited for swimming. There are sandy shores by Yli-Soppananjärvi camping area.