- The water is usually clean and safe to drink in the whole area, however the quality of the water cannot be monitored, so the use of natural water is at your own risk. During warm weather water should be boiled before drinking.
- There is a household water well by Lake Sompiojärvi. The quality of the water is monitored.
- Hiking in Finland: Drinking Water.
- On the Ruijanpolku Trail you must take care of waste disposal yourself. Biodegradable waste should be placed in a toilet or composter, and small amounts of clean paper and cardboard can be used as kindling in a campfire. Take all other waste from the hike with you.
- There is a waste bin point by Lake Sompiojärvi. There are municipal recycling points in Kiilopää and Laanila.
- Read more about Hiking Without Littering.
- Making a fire is only allowed at the maintained campfire sites along the Ruijanpolku Trail. There is always a saw and an axe in the woodshed for chopping the logs.
- The campfire sites are located on the shores of Lake Sompiojärvi and at the foot of Terävä-Nattanen Fell. There are lean-to shelters by Kaptukaislammet , Sivakkaoja and Kopsusjärventie Road (about 500 m west of Ruijanpolku), where you can make a campfire.
Maintenance and Management
- The trail's waste and firewood management is the responsibility of Metsähallitus, Natural Heritage Services, Lapland. Feedback on waste and firewood management can be addressed to the Saariselkä Customer Service Kiehinen in Saariselkä.
- There is a dry toilet by Lake Sompiojärvi.
- There is a dty toilet by Kaptukaislampi lean-to shelter.
- There is a dry toilet by the Kopsusjärventie lean-to shelter.
- There is a dry toilet by the Sivakkaoja lean-to shelter.
Camping and Lean-to Shelters
Camping along the Ruijanpolku Trail is only allowed at designated sites:
- You may stay overnight in a tent by Lake Sompiojärvi. There is also a lean-to shelter and a Lapp 'kota' hut by the lake. You may stay for a maximum of three days at one time by Lake Sompiojärvi.
- There is a lean-to shelter along the Kaptukaislammet Ponds. You may also stay there overnight in a tent.
- There is a lean-to shelter along the Kopsusjärventie Road. You may also stay there overnight in a tent.
- There is a lean-to shelter by Sivakkaoja. You may also stay there overnight in a tent.
Lodging, Equipment Rental and Other Services in the Surrounding Area
More information on websies