Entrance to the Rapola Hill Fort and the area of relics is always free.
The area is easiest to visit when there is no snow, but is also beautiful in winter. The parking area and yard of the Voipaala Art Centre are cleared of snow. The paths in the area of relics remain clear most of the winter thanks to hikers, but there is no actual winter maintenance.
The Rapalum exhibition in the stable of the Voipaala Manor is only open by advance reservations and mainly during opening hours of the Art Centre. Please contact the office of the Voipaala Art Centre (www.valkeakoski.fi) well in advance: e-mail voipaala(at)valkeakoski.fi and telephone +358 40 335 7071.
Entrance to the Rapola Hill Fort and the area of relics is free, and admission to the Rapalum exhibition is also free.
Other exhibitions at the Voipaala Art Centre are subject to a charge.
Information on guided tours for groups can be obtained from the Voipaala Art Centre and from the Valkeakoski Guides via the Valkeakoski tourist office (www.valkeakoski.fi), tel. +358 040 335 6051. In addition, Regnum Rapalum (www.paasia.fi) offers guide services.
- Address of the site: Sääksmäentie 772, 37700 Sääksmäki (parking area)
- Metsähallitus is responsible for the maintenance and management of the Rapola Hill Fort.
- Telephone: +358 206 39 4630 (Häme Nature Centre)
- E-mail: hame(at)metsa.fi
- A notification must be submitted to Metsähallitus of any events organised at the site: instructions and a form (www.metsa.fi, in Finnish)
- Research and other activities not covered by the "Right of Public Access" (also known as "Everyman's rights" in Finland, and the "Right to Roam" in the UK) requires permission from the landowner (instructions and form, www.metsa.fi, in Finnish).
Directions and Maps
The Rapola Hill Fort is located in Häme, on the northern shore of Lake Vanajavesi, in Sääksmäki, Valkeakoski. The Rapola ridge is located at a distance of 38 kilometres from Hämeenlinna and 40 kilometres from Tampere.
- The way to the Rapola Hill Fort is signposted from the Helsinki–Tampere motorway at exits 29 and 30.
- From the motorway, turn onto road 130 and from there onto Huittulantie as signposted. After the Sääksmäki Church at the Huittulantie intersection, turn left onto Sääksmäentie as signposted.
- Follow the signs and you will come to the parking area of the Voipaala Art Centre (address Sääksmäentie 772), which functions as a starting point for a signposted route to the Rapola ridge.
By Public Transportation
- Local buses run from Valkeakoski to the Rapola ridge. The nearest stop for local buses is situated on Sääksmäentie. Timetables: Valkeakosken liikenne (www.valkeakoskenliikenne.fi, in Finnish)
- Express coaches running from Tampere and Hämeenlinna stop near the Rapola ridge. The nearest stop for express coaches (name of the stop: Sääksmäki KK TH) is situated at the Sääksmäentie intersection on road 130. Timetables: Väinö Paunu Oy (www.paunu.fi).
- From the bus and coach stops, there is a 15-minute walk to the Rapola Hill Fort.