Opening Hours and Entrance Fee
The Pisamalahti Hill Fort is open to visitors free of charge at all times.
The area is easiest to visit when there is no snow on the ground. There is no winter maintenance on the trails and the stairs to the Hill Fort, and the parking area is not cleared of snow in winter.
- The Pisamalahti Hill Fort is managed by Metsähallitus
- The municipality of Sulkava is responsible for hiking services (the campfire shelter, dry toilet and excursion harbour) in the vicinity of the Hill Fort.
- Telephone: +358 15 527 5200 (Municipality of Sulkava switchboard)
- E-mail: kirjaamo(at)sulkava.fi
- Address of the site: Linnavuorentie 306, 58700 Sulkava
- Google Maps (www.googlemaps.fi)
- WGS 84: 61°45'2" N, 28°19'3" E
- A notification must be submitted to Metsähallitus of any events organised at the site: instructions and a form (www.metsa.fi, in Finnish)
- Research and other activities not covered by the "Right of Public Access" (also known as "Everyman's rights" in Finland, and the "Right to Roam" in the UK) requires permission from the landowner (instructions and form, www.metsa.fi, in Finnish).
Directions and Maps
The Pisamalahti Hill Fort is located in the region of South Savo, in Sulkava by Lake Enonvesi, 46 kilometres from Savonlinna and 86 kilometres from Mikkeli and 6 kilometres from the Sulkava church village.
- The Pisamalahti Hill Fort is signposted from the Sulkava church village.
- When arriving from the north, take road no. 14 and turn onto the Sulkavantie road (no. 435), drive on for approximately 17 kilometres and turn left onto the Vekarantie road (no. 438). Less than one kilometre later, turn right onto the Vilkaharjuntie road and drive on for 3 kilometres, continue along the Uitonrinne road for 0.4 kilometres and turn onto the Saarentie road and continue for 2.4 kilometres. Then turn right onto the Linnavuorentie road that leads to the Hill Fort.
- When arriving from the south, turn off from road no. 62 onto the Ryhäläntie road (no. 434), and further onto the Heikkurilantie road (no. 435). Then turn right onto the Pieksänlahdentie road, and continue to the centre of Sulkava church village. From there, turn right onto the Saarentie road and drive on for 2.4 kilometres. Then turn right onto the Linnavuorentie road that leads to the Hill Fort.
- The walking distance from the parking area to the Hill Fort is less than 500 metres. The Hill Fort is signposted from the parking area.
- There is a bus connection to Sulkava church village e.g. from Helsinki, Mikkeli and Savonlinna. Timetables: Matkahuolto (www.matkahuolto.info). The distance between Sulkava church village and the Hill Fort is 6 kilometres.
By Own Boat
- Location of the free-of-charge visitors' berth: 61°45'2" N, 28°19'3" E (WGS 84 coordinate system). Nautical chart no. 217 (212).
- Side or anchor mooring.
- From the direction of Sulkava, there is a bridge that is only 12 metres high.
- The berth is open to westerly winds.