By Public Transportation
- The closest railway station is located in Rovaniemi. Timetables (www.vr.fi)
- There is a daily coach connection (www.matkahuolto.fi) from Rovaniemi to Ivalo. From Ivalo, the distance to Nellim is 40 km, and from Nellim there is still a stretch of 14.5 km to the southern starting point of the Piilola Trail.
- The closest airport (www.finavia.fi) is located in Ivalo.
- The closest airport (www.avinor.no) is located in Kirkenes. In summer, there is a daily coach connection (www.matkahuolto.fi) from Ivalo to Näätämö. From Näätämö to Norweigian side Neiden there is no public connection, the dictance is about 13 km.
- From Kirkenes, there is a coach connection (Kirkenes-Vaggetem) to the village of Vaggetem and to a point that is located at a distance of about 11 kilometres from the Piilola Trail's starting point. Timetables (www.boreal.no, in Norweigian)
- The trail's southern starting point is located at the distance of about 14.5 km from the village of Nellim. From Nellim, drive along road no. 969 for 3 km towards Virtaniemi and then turn onto Kessintie (no. 9696). Drive along Kessintie for 11.5 km and you will arrive at the trail's starting point, where there is a parking area as well as an information board and a signpost.
- The trail's northern starting point is located 11 km southwest of the village of Vaggetem. From Vaggetem, continue along road no. 885 for 2 km to the south. There is a forest road branching off by the information board about Øvre Pasvik National Park. Drive along the forest road for 9 km and you will arrive at the trail's starting point on the shores of Lake Sortbrysttjern.
Local taxi and programme service entrepreneurs provide the necessary transport services in Finland and in Norway (www.kirkenesinfo.no, in Norwegian and English). By road, the geographical distance between the trail's starting points is about 290 km. The distance from Neiden to the shores of Lake Sorbrysttjern is about 47 km and 13 km from Neiden to Näätämö.
Map Sales Points
- Maastokartat: Terrain map no W514 1:50 000, Maanmittauslaitos 2008. The maps are sold by Northern Lapland Nature Centre Siida, Ivalo Customer Service and Karttakeskus.
- Sør-Varanger Pasvikdalen, 1:100 000 / 1:50 000, 2007. The maps are sold by Northern Lapland Nature Centre Siida, Ivalo Customer Service and Bioforsk Svanhovd.
- Retkeily GT Pohjois-Suomi: Outdoor GT Map Northern Finland, 2016, 1:400 000. The maps are sold by Karttakeskus and well-stocked bookstores.