Lake Pihlajavesi is located south of main road 14.
To get to the area, you need a canoe or a boat. More information on canoe and boat rental can be found in Saimaa Nature Centre Riihisaari, in Savonlinna Travel Ltd (www.savonlinna.travel), in Sulkava tourist information (www.sulkava.fi) and on the webpage of the municipality of Punkaharju (www.punkaharju.fi, in Finnish).
- It is a good idea to leave your car in the town of Savonlinna, because Koivukannanniemi is the only excursion harbour which can be reached by car. The area is large and only accessible by water. However, there are ferry boat services (lautta.net) to some bigger islands. Visitors should note that there are a lot of privately owned lands in the area and visitors should respect the landowners and their privacy.
- Driving directions to Saimaa Nature Centre Riihisaari.
- Boaters can arrive from Savonlinna, Punkaharju or Puumala directions.
- The northern part of the area can be reached from Lake Haukivesi direction via the town of Savonlinna.
- The eastern part of the area can be reached from Lake Puruvesi direction via Punkasalmi Strait.
- The western part of the area can be reached via Vekarasalmi Strait.
- There are several excursion harbours on Lake Pihlajavesi. More information from Special services for boaters.
By Canoe and Rowboat
- Starting from the town of Savonlinna, the nearest excursion harbours are less than 10 km away.
By Public Transportation
- There are good train (www.vr.fi), coach (www.matkahuolto.fi) and aeroplane (www.finavia.fi) connections to the town of Savonlinna. From Savonlinna, it is 30 km to Punkaharju and 39 km to Sulkava.
By Cruise Boat
Starting Points for the Excursions
- If you are boating or canoeing on the beautiful Lake Pihlajavesi, the town of Savonlinna is a good place to start. It is about 10 km from Savonlinna to, for example, Iso-Kankainen excursion harbour.
- Terrain maps M524 and M542, 1:50 000. Maps are sold by Karttakeskus and the National Land Survey of Finland.
- Mikkeli-Savonlinna-Punkaharju Vesiretkeilykartasto: Mikkeli-Savonlinna-Punkaharju canoe routes map 1:50 000. Further information on the maps is available at Savonlinna Travel Ltd.
- Yleismerikartta 921, Saimaan vesistö: General nautical chart 921, Saimaa lake system, 1:200 000, 2001. Maps are sold by Karttakeskus.
- Perus-/maastokarttalehdet: Base maps/ terrain maps nos 3144 11, 4122 02, 03, 05, 06, 07, 08, 10 and 11, 4124 01 ja 02, 4211 01 ja 07, 1:20 000. Maps are sold by Karttakeskus, the National Land Survey of Finland and well-stocked bookstores.
- GT tiekartta Itä-Suomi: GT Roadmap Finland East, 2010, 1:250 000. The maps are sold by Karttakeskus and well-stocked bookstores.
Map Sales Points