The northern parts of Olvassuo are located in the municipality of Pudasjärvi. The southwestern part belongs to the municipality of Utajärvi and the southeastern part to Puolanka. Olvassuo is located on the southern side of main road no. 20 (Oulu - Kuusamo). The distance from Pudasjärvi to the area is about 20 km.
- You can reach the Kirkaslampi destination from the Utajärvi - Puolanka Road (no. 837) by turning to the north from the Juorkuna crossroads. The distance to Juorkuna is about 95 km from Oulu and some 35 km from Puolanka. At the crossroads, there is an Olvassuo information board, which also gives driving instructions to Kirkaslampi. The distance from the Juorkuna crossroads to the Kirkaslampi parking area is 24 km.
- You can reach the Sammakkosuo destination by taking Ruottisenharjuntie Road, which branches off from the Oulu - Kuusamo Road (main road no. 20). The Ruottisenharju crossroads is located at a distance of about four kilometres from Pudasjärvi towards Oulu. Take Ruottisenharjuntie Road for 14 km, at which point the Sammakkosuo parking area is visible on the right-hand side of the road.
- Driving directions to the Syöte Visitor Centre.
In winter, not all roads to Olvassuo are ploughed, but the road to the Sammakkosuo destination, for example, is ploughed. The road to Kirkaslampi is not ploughed the whole way. In winter, you can drive to Olvassuo along the following ploughed roads:
- The road running from Hetekylä to Keinäsperä.
- The road from Juorkuna to Marttiskylä to the shore of Lake Iso Olvasjärvi.
- The road running from Housuvaara (by the Puolanka - Pudasjärventie Road) to Luppoperä.
In addition, some of the forest roads may be ploughed for the needs of forestry/peat machines.
By Public Transport
The Olvassuo destinations cannot be reached by public transport.
Starting Points for Trails
- Those hiking at the Kirkaslampi destination: there is a parking area next to the Kirkaslampi lean-to shelter (there is enough space for turning a coach in the parking area). The nature trail starts at the parking area.
- The Sammakkosuo Nature Trail starts from the parking area that is located by Ruottisenharjuntie Road.
- Starting points for trails.
- Maastokartta: Terrain map R521 Puolanka, R522 Jaurakkajärvi, 1:50 000. The maps can be purchased from Karttakeskus, the National Land Survey of Finland and well-stocked bookstores.
- Maastokartta: Terrain maps nos. 3423 10, 3432 02, 3432 03, 3414 11, 3414 12, 3442 03, 3442 06, 3531 01, 3531 02, 3531 04, 1:20 000. The maps can be purchased from Karttakeskus, the National Land Survey of Finland and well-stocked bookstores.
- Maastokartta: Terrain map 3442 Puolanka, 3531 Jonku, 1:50 000. The maps can be purchased from Karttakeskus, the National Land Survey of Finland and well-stocked bookstores.
- Pyöräily GT6 Lappi (Cycling GT6 Lapland), 1:400 000. Karttakeskus 2005. The maps can be purchased from Karttakeskus and well-stocked bookstores.
- Pyöräily GT5 Oulu - Suomussalmi (Cycling GT5 Oulu - Suomussalmi), 1:200 000. Karttakeskus 2006. The maps can be purchased from Karttakeskus and well-stocked bookstores.
- GT tiekartta Itä-Suomi (GT Road map eastern Finland), 2010, 1:250 000. This map can be purchased from Karttakeskus and well-stocked bookstores.
Map Sales Points