Customer Service and Guidance
Services offered by enterprises and other organisations in Muotkatunturi Wilderness Area
Meals, Where to Buy and Prepare
Water in the area is normally suitable for drinking, but during hot periods in the summer, it is recommended to boil the water before drinking. Usually running water is better for drinking than still water.
Measures should be taken in advance to avoid taking unnecessary waste into the area. It is desiderable that you take all the non-degradable waste that accumulates during your trip out of the area.
However, there are waste bins at the huts. Biodegradable waste should be placed in a toilet or composter, and small amounts of clean paper and cardboard can be used as kindling in a campfire.
There are dry toilets at the open wilderness huts.
Camping and Lean-to Shelters
The hiker is free to choose his own camping place is the wilderness. It is recommended to use the grounds of the open wilderness huts, and places which has been previously used, to avoid wearing of the ground.
Open Wilderness Huts (owh)
- Kurtojoki owh is located south of the Jorba-Kaisavarri Fell, on the northern bank of the River Kurtojoki.
- Stuorraäytsi owh is located in the western end of the Stuorrâävži Valley, about 800 metres west of the last small lake on the headwaters of the Stuorrâävži Brook.
Lodging in the Surrounding Area
- Information about accommodation possibilities in the surrounding areas can be obtained from the tourist information of the municipalities of Utsjoki (www.utsjoki.fi) and Inari.
Caravans and Campervans
Caravans and campervans can be parked on public parking areas. There are services for caravan tourists in the village of Karigasniemi and in Muotkan Ruoktu along the Karigasniemi road.
Services for the Disabled
There are no special services for the disabled in the area. Siida - The Sámi Museum and Northern Lapland Nature Centre are accessible by a wheelchair. There is also a toilet for the disabled in Siida, and the outdoor museum is accessible by a wheelchair with assistance.
Other Services in the Surrounding Area
- In Ivalo (www.inari.fi), all the basic services can be found: different shops, banks, a post office, a health centre, restaurants and hotels.
- The nearest food shops and petrol stations are in Inari, Kaamanen and Karigasniemi.
- Taxi drivers can be found in Inari, Kaamanen and Karigasniemi. They may also provide car relocation service, as well as may the companies offering services for tourists.
- There are several companies offering services for tourists in the surrounding areas.
- The food shops in the surrounding areas have medicine cupboards.
- Find out more about visiting Lapland (www.lapland.fi/visit/).