Muotkatunturi Wilderness Area is located in the Northern Lapland, on the western side of the Lake Inarijärvi. On the eastern side of the area run the main road 4 and the road 92 to Karigasniemi, and on the western side the River Inarijoki and the Norwegian border.
- The road no 9553 (Inari - Angeli) goes to the southern side of the Muotkatunturi Wilderness Area.
- To get to the northern and the eastern side, drive on the road 92 (Kaamanen - Karigasniemi).
- On the southeastern side, you can reach the area from the main road 4 between Inari and Kaamanen.
- The road 9553 (Angeli - Karigasniemi) runs on the western side of the area. The roads are not on the edge of the wilderness area, but at about 1 - 14 km distance from it.
- Driving directions to Siida.
By Public Transportation
- To the southern part of the area, there is a taxi/minibus connection once a week (Inari - Vuomajoki service). Timetables (www.matkahuolto.fi). From the road 9553 to Angeli, it is 1 - 3 km to the wilderness area. The village of Angeli is at about 14 distance from the wilderness area.
- To the eastern and the northern side of the area, to Karigasniemi road, there is a coach connection from Inari (local services Ivalo - Karigasniemi, Oulu - Karasjoki). If coming from Utsjoki (express service Vadsö/Tana - Rovaniemi and local service Nuorgam - Ivalo), you need to change at Kaamanen to the coach coming from Inari. Timetables (www.matkahuolto.fi). From the road 92 (to Karigasniemi), it is 4 - 7 km to the wilderness area, and the village of Karigasniemi is located at about 4 km distance from the wilderness area.
- Journey.fi provides information on public transportation to Muotkatunturi (www.journey.fi)
Starting Points for Excursions
- A good place to start a hiking trip is for example on the road 92 to Karigasniemi, on the northern side of the wilderness area, where the hiker will be closest to the open fell area. The village of Karigasniemi, the fell village Tunturikylä Muotkan Ruoktu and hiking centre Retkeilykeskus Kiellatupa are other popular starting points.
- There are no information boards or designated parking areas for hikers.
- Muotkatunturit outdoor map, 1:50 000, Karttakeskus 2009. The maps are sold by Siida - Northern Lapland Nature Centre, Ivalo Customer Service and Karttakeskus.
- Terrain maps W433, W434 and W443, 1:50 000, National Land Survey of Finland 2008 - 2009. The maps are sold by Siida - Northern Lapland Nature Centre, Ivalo Customer Service, Karttakeskus and the National Land Survey of Finland.
- Outdoor GT Northern Finland, 2016, 1:400 000. Map is sold by Karttakeskus and well-stocked bookstores.
Map Sales Points