What can one do in Melkuttimet?
Walk on Marked Trails
The Melkuttimet area is a popular hiking destination. The terrain for the most part is easy to travel hilly ridge landscape. There are about 5 km of marked hiking trails in Melkuttimet which follow the shores of Lake Iso-Melkutin.
Go Wilderness Trekking
The trails in the Melkuttimet area are part of the Paaran patikka Trail and of the Ilvesreitti Trail Network (www.hameenvirkistysalueyhdistys.fi), which consists of over 200 km of trails and thus longer treks are possible when setting out from the area. Hikers can head towards Loppi as well as Liesjärvi National Park in Tammela when setting off on the Ilvesreitti Trails from the Melkuttimet area. Hikers can stay overnight in the maintained lean-to shelters either at the east or west end of Lake Iso-Melkutin, where also campfire sites and dry toilets can be found.
- Hook and line fishing and ice fishing are allowed according to the Everyman's right (www.environment.fi).
- Lure Fishing
- Those, who are 18 - 64 years old, need to pay the fisheries management fee (www.eraluvat.fi). If you are fishing with more than one rod, you will need the permission of the owner of the water area in addition to the fisheries management fee.
- In the municipality of Loppi lure fishing permits are sold by the Räyskälä shareholder corporation and the Loppi fishing area (www.kalastusalue.fi, in Finnish). The area's lakes which are situated in the municipality of Loppi are Lakes Yli-Mylly, Iso-Melkutin and Valkealammit.
- Lakes Kaitajärvi, Pikku-Kaita and Vähä-Saarijärvi are in the municipality of Tammela and owned by the Porras shareholder corporation, which sells lure fishing permits for these water areas. Fishing permits may be purchased from Härkäposti Cafe (Portaanraitti 1, 31340 Porras, Finland. Tel. int. +358 3 4343 066) during its opening hours.
- Lakes which are located in both the municipalities of Loppi and Tammela are Vähä-Melkutin, Saarijärvi and Rajalammi.
- Fishers need to check the restrictions on fishing sites at kalastusrajoitus.fi (In Finnish).
Go Berry and Mushroom Picking
Picking berries and mushrooms is permitted in the Melkuttimet area. During crop rich years visitors can fill their baskets with blueberries and lingonberries. Mushroom baskets can be filled with typical forest species such as milk caps and russulas. During good season there are many boletes.
There are no official beaches with life guards in the Melkuttimet area, but numerous lakes in the area offer many swimming opportunities along their shores. There are no piers in the area. There is an especially good swimming spot at the east end of Lake Iso-Melkutin. The tips of ridge peninsulas are also good points to slip into the water.
Swimming in truly crystal clear waters is a rare treat in Southern Finland, but in the Melkuttimet area lakes swimmers can have the exceptional experience of seeing to a depth of many metres.
The area's lakes have very clear water and thus it is an ideal place for diving.