Directions and Maps
When arriving from the south, drive along Road no. 4 past Ivalo and the parish centre of Inari. Having driven past the River Juutuanjoki bridge and the Siida Northern Lapland Nature Centre, continue for 7.5 kilometres to the north, and turn towards a boat launch site (indicated by a signpost) that is located at Sikovuono (WGS84 lat 68.9616, lon 26.9583).
Riutula (WGS84 lat 68.9420, lon 26.8020) is also a possible starting point. In order to go to Riutula, drive from the parish centre of Inari 3 kilometres to the north, and turn left onto Road no. 9553 running to Angeli. Continue along this road for less than 7 kilometres to the Vasatokka Youth & Holiday Centre crossroads, and turn right onto a road that runs to the shore. The municipality's boat ramp is located at a distance of 150 metres from the crossroads. Slightly further away, you will see the Vasatokka Youth & Holiday Centre, where you can enquire about a parking space.
The third option for departure is to drive to the shore of Lake Solojärvi. In this option, from the parish centre of Inari, turn west onto Road no. 955 running to Kittilä. Drive along this road for 12.5 kilometres, and turn right onto a narrow gravel road that runs to the municipality's boat launch site (WGS84 lat 68.8345, lon 26.7975).
The fourth option is to drive straight to the border of the national park to the village of Njurkulahti. In this option, turn onto Road no. 955, which runs from the parish centre of Inari to Kittilä. Drive along it for 36 kilometres, and turn right onto Road no. 9551. After driving along this road for slightly more than ten kilometres, you will arrive at the yard of a tourism enterprise (WGS84 lat 68.7587, lon 26.2324), which is located on the shore of River Lemmenjoki. You can also set off for your trip from a public jetty at Njurkulahti, which is located about one kilometre before: when driving uphill, turn to the right. The road runs past an information shelter for the national park and the old nature information hut. Thereafter (before the wooden fence), the road turns to the left, towards the shore and the jetty.
The fifth option is to set off from the side of the River Vaskojoki bridge (WGS84 lat 68.94924, lon 26.66359). In order to drive to this site, drive 3 kilometres north of the parish centre of Inari, and then turn left onto a road that runs to Angeli. Drive along this road for 15 kilometres, and you will see the River Vaskojoki. Cross the bridge and turn to the left. The road runs to the shore.
By Public Transportation
A bus operates to Sikovuono, but there are no buses to Riutula, River Vaskojoki, Lake Solojärvi, and Njurkulahti.
- Timetables (www.matkahuolto.fi). The closest taxi entrepreneurs operate in the Inari and Lemmenjoki areas. In summer, a local taxi drives every day (except for Sunday) from Lemmenjoki to Inari and back. More information on the Directions section of the Lemmenjoki National Park.
- The closest airport (www.finavia.fi) is located in Ivalo. From the airport, transport to Inari and Lemmenjoki (www.kuljetusliikeilmarislant.fi). Please note that you must reserve your seat on the previous day (by 6 pm, at the latest).
- Inarin osoite- ja virkistyskartta: Address and recreation map of Inari, 1:150 000, Lapland District Survey Office 2013. The map is sold by Siida - Northern Lapland Nature Centre, Saariselkä Customer Service Kiehinen and Ivalo Customer Service.
- Lemmenjoki Outdoor Map, 1:100 000. Karttakeskus 2010. The map is sold by Siida - Northern Lapland Nature Centre and Ivalo Customer Service.
- Hammastunturi Southern Inari waterproof outdoor map, 1:100 000, Karttakeskus 2016. The map is sold by Siida - Northern Lapland Nature Centre, Saariselkä Customer Service Kiehinen and Ivalo Customer Service, Karttakeskus and well-stocked bookstores.
- Maastokartat: Terrain Maps: W433, W434 and W444, 1:50 000. Maanmittauslaitos 2008-2009.The map is sold by Siida - Northern Lapland Nature Centre, Ivalo Customer Service and MapSite of the National Land Survey of Finland.
- Geologinen retkeilykartta: Lemmenjoki geological hiking map, 1:50 000. Geological Survey of Finland 2002. The map is sold by Siida - Northern Lapland Nature Centre.
- Retkeily GT Pohjois-Suomi: Outdoor GT map Northern Finland, 2016, 1:400 000. The maps are sold by Karttakeskus and well-stocked bookstores.
Map Sales Points