Kylmäluoma Hiking Area is located in the northeast corner of the municipality of Taivalkoski, by main road 5. It is 45 km south of the town of Kuusamo in the direction of Kajaani. It is a 50 km drive along road 8400 (Jokijärventie) from the Taivalkoski municipality centre to Kylmäluoma Hiking Area.
There are signposts leading to Kylmäluoma Hiking Area (Kylmäluoman retkeilyalue) from main road 5 (Kajaani - Kuusamo). There is a sign and entrance gate at the intersection of the road leading to the hiking area. It is 2 km from this intersection to the outdoor centre.
When coming along main road 20 (Oulu - Kuusamo) turn at the municipal centre of Taivalkoski onto road 8400 towards Jokijärvi. Follow this road for 45 km and then turn onto main road 5 towards Kuusamo. Follow main road 5 for 5 km.
By Public Transportation
A coach travels twice a day between Kajaani and Kuusamo. It travels along main road 5. The two closest stops (Kaleton 205 km, Polojärvi 207 km) are 2 to 4 km from Kylmäluoma Outdoor Centre. Timetables available from Matkahuolto
A coach travels every school day from the mucipal centre of Taivalkoski along main road 20. Further information can be found on the Matkahuolto
There are also local taxis, which can transport visitors. More information is available at the outdoor centres reception
(www.hossa-kylmaluoma.fi) tel. int. +358 40 500 3476 and on the Taivalkoski
Starting Points for Excursions
- There is a parking area for cars and coaches at Kylmäluoma Outdoor Centre.
- A parking area for cars can be found at the Lake Kylmäluomajärvi harbour.
- Starting points for trails
Boat Launch Ramps
- The Lake Kylmäluoma boat harbour has a boat launch ramp and and a shelter for storing boats.
- Storage shelters for rental boats are located at the outdoor centre.
- Kylmäluoma kesäreittikartta, Kylmäluoma summertrail map, A3, 2009. The map is sold at Kylmäluoma Outdoor Centre and Karhuntassu Customer Service Point.
- Maastokartta: Terrain map S514 Taivalkoski, 1:50 000. The map is sold by well-stocked bookstores, Karttakeskus and the National Land Survey of Finland.
- Kuusamon matkailukartta: Kuusamo Tourist Map, 1:100 000. Karttakeskus 2009. Maps are sold by the National Land Survey of Finland and well-stocked bookstores.
- Syöte - Pudasjärvi / Taivalkoski - Kylmäluoma ulkoilukartta (outdoor map), 1:50 000, 2008. The map is sold by the Kylmäluoma Outdoor Centre and the Syöte Visitor Centre.
- Peruskartat nrot: Basic maps no 4512, 4521, 4514, 1:20 000. National Land Survey of Finland. Maps are sold by well-stocked bookstores, Karttakeskus and the National Land Survey of Finland.
- Hossa Kylmäluoma, waterproof map, 1:25 000. Calazo Förlag 2018. Map is sold by Calazo.
- Maastokartta: Terrain map 4512 Tyrävaara, 1:50 000. Maps are sold by well-stocked bookstores, Karttakeskus and the National Land Survey of Finland.
- Pyöräily GT6: Cycling map GT6 Lapland, 1:400 000. Maps are sold by Karttakeskus and well-stocked bookstores.
- GT tiekartta Pohjois-Suomi: GT Roadmap Finland North, 2010, 1:400 000. The maps are sold by Karttakeskus and well-stocked bookstores.
- Suunnistuskartta: Orienteering map, 1:10 000. The map covers the terrain surrounding the outdoor centre. The map is sold by Kylmäluoma Outdoor Centre. There are permanent course of control points in the area covered by the map.
Map Sales Points