Customer service and guidance
- Syöte Visitor Centre is the nearest Metsähallitus service point.
- Information and guidance on hiking, map and nature-themed small item sales, an auditorium for 60 persons, exhibitions, café-restaurant, and programme services.
- An information board introducing the history of Kurimo on the left side of the road after the bridge across the Kiiminkijoki River.
Meals, cooking, and groceries
- There is a lean-to, campfire site, and firewood storage on the northern bank of the river next to the rapids.
- Lighting campfires is forbidden when forest fire warnings are in effect.
- Visitors must bring their own drinking water to the area.
There are no waste bins in the area, so visitors must take their litter away with them. This makes it the responsibility of each hiker, to bring the waste they accumulate during the trip to a recycling point. Biodegradable waste should be placed in a toilet or composter, and small amounts of clean paper and cardboard can be used as kindling in a campfire. Read more about Hiking without littering.
- There is a dry toilet roughly 20 metres away from the campfire site.
Camping and lean-tos
- Camping in the area is allowed under everyman's rights(www.ymparisto.fi).
- Staying in the lean-to at the campfire site is permitted, but the fire is too far away to keep sleepers warm during the night.
Lodging in the surrounding area
- Rental cabins are available for visitors in the village of Särkijärvi. For further Information, go to the service directory of The Särkijärvi village (www.utajarvi.fi; in finnish).
- Contact the tourism information of the nearby municipalities to inquire about the accommodation opportunities in the region. Puolanka, tel. +358(0)8 719 3555 and Utajärvi, tel. +358 (0)8 554 5500.
- Kiiminkijoki River company directory (www.kiiminkijoki.fi/en)
Some of the tourist operators in the area rent canoeing equipment. For further Information, go to the Kiiminkijoki River company directory (www.kiiminkijoki.fi/en).
Services for the disabled
There are no special services for the disabled in the area. A car can be driven to within 20 m of the campfire site.
Special services for boaters
There is a concrete boat ramp at Kurimonkoski rapids.
Other services in the surrounding area
- The closest grocery store and petrol station are located in the village of Juorkuna 15 km from the Kurimonkoski rapids.
- The nearest bank, post office, healthcare centre, pharmacist, service station, and taxi service are 27 km away, in the centre of Puolanka.
- Fishing permits in the Kiiminkijoki River (www.kiiminkijoki.fi/en) can be acquired from local operators or directly online (www.kalapaikka.net; in Finnish).