Kurimonkoski rapids are located in the village of Särkijärvi in Utajärvi, 3.7 kilometres north of the Utajärvi - Puolanka road (no. 837). The distance from Puolanka is 27 km and from Oulu 108 km.
- Kurimonkoski rapids can be approached by car from either the Utajärvi or Puolanka direction. If arriving from Utajärvi, follow the road number 837 for 44 km to the old Särkijärvi village shop and turn left onto the northbound Kurimo road. Kurimonkoski rapids is located roughly 4 km from the junction. If arriving from Puolanka, follow the road number 837 for 23 km to the old (closed) Särkijärvi village shop and turn right onto the northbound Kurimo road.
By public transportation
- Buses running between Oulu and Suomussalmi, and Oulu and Hyrynsalmi stop in the village of Särkijärvi. A scheduled bus runs a few times a day on weekdays and once a day during weekends. Kurimonkoski is located roughly 4 km from the bus stop.
- For more detailed information about the timetables, please visit the Matkahuolto website (www.matkahuolto.com).
Starting points for excursions
Parking area for cars is located on the northern side of the Kiiminkijoki River immediately after the bridge. A trail leaves from there to the west following the riverbank. The foundations of the old ironworks buildings and the area in general can easily be observed by following the road.
- Topographic map number 3442 05, 1:20 000. The maps can be purchased from Karttakeskus, the National Land Survey of Finland, and well-stocked bookshops.
Retkeily GT Itä-Suomi: Outdoor GT East Finland, 2015, 1:250 000.The maps are sold by Karttakeskus and well-stocked bookstores.
GT tiekartta Itä-Suomi: GT Road Map Finland East, 2015, 1:250 000. The maps are sold by Karttakeskus and well-stocked bookstores.
- Forest Map 9-10, 1:250 000.
Map sales points