Western Finland, Pirkanmaa Region
Municipality of Ikaalinen (www.ikaalinen.fi, in Finnish)
Seitseminen National Park
The area is managed by Metsähallitus.
Kovero Crown Tenant Farm features everyday life at a farm during the beginning of the 1900s in the Seitseminen backwoods area. At Kovero farm the traditional cultural landscape is maintained through old farming methods.
The Kovero Crown Tenant Farm was officially established in 1859, although people had probably settled there about a year earlier. The farm remained lived at until the end of the 1960s. During the farm's heyday during the first decades of the 1900s Ananias Kovero and his family lived on the farm. In addition to the household members in wintertime loggers from local logging sites slept on the farmhouse floor, as was later told by the Kovero daughters.
After the wars farming dwindled little by little at the estate. The state yet again gained ownership of the farm when Metsähallitus bought it in 1970. Today, Kovero is part of Seitseminen National Park's cultural landscape area and farm has been restored as precisely as possible to resemble those from the era of horse agriculture, meaning 1927-1941. Much of the farm's restoration work and other daily tasks have been realised by volunteers from the community.
Directions and Maps
Address: Seitsemisentie 948, Ikaalinen
For directions to and information on public transportation to the area see the Seitseminen National Park directions and maps page.
- Visitors may go to greet the farm's animals. Animals should be approached calmly, while chatting to them quietly so that they do not frighten. Visitors may feed the animals by plucking a bunch of grass for them from beside the fence. Feeding anything else to animals is forbidden to ensure their safety and well-being.
- Torpparintaival circle trail, 6,2 km. The trail sets off from Kovero Crown Tenant Farm and leads through Multiharju old-growth forest, by Lake Haukilampi and back to Kovero. There are meadows, pine forest forests, mires with duckboards and shadowy old-growth forest along this route. There is a campfire site at Lake Haukilampi.
- Hikers can also get from Kovero to the other trails into Seitseminen National Park.
Café and Restaurant Services
- There is a restaurant at Seitseminen Nature Centre, which is situated in the northern part of Seitseminen National Park approximately a 7 km drive from Kovero.
Services for the Disabled
- Kovero farm is accessible by wheelchair from its parking area, which is about 50 metres away, but those with wheelchairs should be accompanied by an assistant.
- It is possible to look around the grounds from a wheelchair, but it is difficult to get into some of the farm's buildings due to their high stone foundations and steps.
- The closest toilet for the disabled is at Kovero parking place.
This is the web page www.nationalparks.fi/kovero