Koli National Park is located in the municipalities of Lieksa, Eno and Kontiolahti by the Lake Pielinen and in the vicinity of main road 6.
- There are signs to Ukko-Koli Hill and Nature Centre Ukko from the main road 6 (between Joensuu and Kajaani). In Ahmovaara at Kolinportti, take turn to road 504. Ukko-Koli Hill is located 12 km and Koli village 9 km from the main road. There are signs from the village of Koli leading to Ukko-Koli.
- Rantatie road, which follows the shore of Lake Pielinen, offers a beautiful scenic route. It travels 20 km in the National Park and turning off the road to visit sights or trails is easy. When coming from the Ahveninen-Lieksa direction you can get onto Rantatie road by turning right from road 515 at the intersection to Herajoki. When heading to the National Park by main road 6 (running between Joensuu and Kajaani) turn onto road 515 in the direction of Ahveninen and then turn left at the intersection to Herajoki.
- During winter a scenic 7-km-long ice road leads across Lake Pielinen from Vuonislahti to Koli.
For more detailed parking area addresses, please see below under Starting Points for Excursions.
By the Shuttle Taxi and Carpool Koli
- The shuttle taxi operates daily between Koli and Joensuu door-to-door.
- It must be reserved 24 hrs in advance.
- There is also the hikers taxi service by Taksikoli and Kolin taksipalvelu meaning you can call taxi to pick you up from the nearest road to the hiking trail.
- Timetables, prices and booking information of the shuttle taxi (www.koli.fi).
- Taxis and local traffic: Taksikoli (www.taksikoli.fi) and Kolin taksipalvelu (www.kolintaksi.fi, in Finnish) .
- Carpool Koli on Facebook.
By Public Transportation
- There is a coach connection from Joensuu to Koli direction. Express bus stop is located in Ahmovaara at Kolinportti (9 km from Koli village). Type "Koli Ahmovaara" to the search field to find the connections (www.matkahuolto.fi). It is possible to use local transportation (www.koli.fi) to travel from Ahmovaara to Koli.
- During summer Koli is also accessible by boat from Lieksa: Pielis-laivat (www.koli.fi).
- When arriving by train (www.vr.fi) during summer the closest railway station is in Joensuu. However, during winter the closest railway station is in Vuonislahti Bay, which is reached by an ice road from Koli.
- The closest airport (www.finavia.fi) is in Joensuu.
- Journey.fi provides information on public transportation to Koli (www.journey.fi)
Starting Points for Excursion and Parking Areas
- Most visitors start their excursions from Ukko-Koli, where you can park either in the parking area P1 or P2 (Ylä-Kolintie 31, Lieksa).
- The parking areas P1 and P2 are located close to the summits, just a short railcar ride or walking distance away from the Ukko Nature Centre, Break Sokos Hotel Koli and the most famous lookout points.
- Parking is not allowed in the upper yard, i.e. in front of the Ukko Nature Centre and Break Sokos Hotel Koli; you can only stop for 15 minutes for unloading.
- The railcar's lower station is located in P1 and the upper station right in front of the hotel's main entrance stairs. The railcar is available for free.
- The upper yard can also be accessed by climbing up the stairs that start next to the railcar's lower station. The stairway is not accessible during winter.
- There are two places for disabled parking by the Break Sokos Hotel Koli side entrance. Parking there is only allowed if you are entitled to the disabled parking badge.
- There is some space for coaches to turn round in the upper yard and next to the railcar's lower station, but the parking area for coaches is located at the back of P2.
- If setting off from the village of Koli, you can leave your car in the yard of the Koli village shop (Kolintie 94, Lieksa), the yard of the Kulmakivi tourist information building (Ylä-Kolintie 2, Lieksa) or the Koli church parking area (Ylä-Kolintie 4, Lieksa).
- The national park's harbour has a parking area for those visiting the harbour (Rantatie 12, Lieksa) or venturing onto the park's trails.
- The parking areas elsewhere in the park are Ollila (Ylä-Kolintie 12, Lieksa) for Ollila, Turula and Mattila; Paimenenvaara (Kotaniementie 10, Lieksa) for the Paimenenpolku Trail; Peiponpelto (Kotaniementie 30, Lieksa) for the Herajärven kierros Trail; Likolahti (Rantatie 47, Lieksa) for the Tarhapuro Trail; Pirunkirkko (Rantatie 117, Lieksa) for the Ennallistajan polku Trail; Lähtevänsärkkä (Herajärventie 30, Eno) for the boat launching site and Lakkala (Herajärven rantatie 35, Eno) for the Herajärven kierros Trail. You can also park for a short time in the lay-bys along the Rantatie road.
- A boat ramp can be found at the Koli harbour.