Customer Service and Guidance
- There are information boards (in Finnish) with maps of the Kermajärvi area at the Vasarasaari, Luhtakannansaari, Puumalansaari and Vihtarniemi excursion harbours.
- For more information contact or visit Saimaa Nature Centre Riihisaari in Savonlinna.
- Versatile information on boating and excursions.
- Sale of maps.
Meals, Where to Buy and Prepare
- The closest shops are located at Heinävesi, Karvio and Kermankoski. Heinävesi is 4 km by boat from the excursion harbour on Vasarasaari Island.
- There are campfire sites at each excursion harbour. There is no firewood in Puumalansaari and Luhtakannansaari. You must bring your firewood with you. Don`t take firewood from the nature.
- Lighting campfires and other open flames is strictly forbidden when there is a forest fire warning in effect. We also recommend that you do not light a campfire if there is a strong wind blowing as this may cause the fire to spread.
- Each visitor must bring their own drinking water with them as there are no water points.
- Surface water, the water in lakes, rivers and streams should be boiled before drinking as the quality of the area's waters changes from place to place.
- There are no waste bins in the area. Measures should be taken in advance to avoid taking unnecessary waste into the area. Of the waste that accumulates during your trip, biodegradable waste should be placed in a toilet and small amounts of clean paper and cardboard can be used as kindling in a campfire.Take all other waste out of the area. Read more about Hiking Without Littering.
Camping and Lean-to Shelters
There are 5 excursion harbours within Kermajärvi and its surrounding area. Visitors may camp in their vicinity. There are different services and facilities at each harbour, more information.
- Vasarasaari Island west tip: lean-to shelter and camping site
- Luhtakannansaari Island northwest shore: camping site
- Puumalansaari Island western shore: camping site
- Vihtarniemi northern shore: camping site
- Martinsaari Island eastern tip: camping site
- There are excursion harbours at Lake Kermajärvi to make boating easier. Some of these harbours are with the area. Camping is an Everyman's Right (www.ymparisto.fi) in the vicinity of the excursion harbours. Visitors may thus camp for 1 to 3 days in each place. For longer periods a separate Metsähallitus permit is needed.
- There are also privately owned lands in the Kermajärvi area and visitors are asked to not disturb inhabitant on these properties.
Lodging in the Surrounding Area
For information on lodging in the surrounding area see the website of the municipality of Heinävesi (www.heinavesi.fi).
Services for the Disabled
There are no services for the disabled in the area.
Special Services for Boaters
Other Services in the Surrounding Area
- The closest banks, service station and other basic services can be found in the municipal centre of Heinävesi (www.heinavesi.fi), which is 4 km by boat from Vasarasaari Island excursion harbour.
- Lure fishing permits can be bought at Heinävesi and Karvio.