Kermajärvi is located on the south side of main road 23 (Varkaus - Joensuu). Kermajärvi is situated 80 km from Savonlinna, 75 km from Joensuu and 45 km from Varkaus, which are the nearest towns.
Kermajärvi can only be reached by boat.
- Boaters can arrive from the directions of Lakes Haukivesi and Suvasvesi. The Heinävesi water route travels through the entire area. Visitors can start excursions with their own boats to Kermajärvi at Heinävesi, Karvio and Kermakoski.
- From the direction of Lake Suvasvesi you can get to the north part of the area through Karvio Canal (www.liikennevirasto.fi).
- From the direction of Lake Haukivesi you can get to the southern part of Kermajärvi through Kerma Canal (www.liikennevirasto.fi).
- It's possible to land on islands in Lake Kermajärvi with small rowboats as well as bigger sailboats. More information on docking on the services for boaters page.
- Contact information for enterprises which rent out canoes and boats can be found in the municipality of Heinävesi website (www.heinavesi.fi).
By Public Transportation
- There is no public transportation to the area. The closest coaches (www.matkahuolto.fi) travel each day to the village of Heinävesi. From Heinävesi is 4 km by boat to the closest excursion harbour on Vasarasaari Island. On school days a coach travels from Heinävesi to the village of Karvio. It is also 4 km by boat from Karvio to the excursion harbour on Vasarasaari Island.
- It is possible to get to Heinävesi by train (www.vr.fi) from Helsinki, Tampere, Turku or Joensuu direction. The railway station is about 6 km from the visitors' harbour in Heinävesi.
Starting Points for Excursions
- Terrain maps N523 and N541, 1:50 000. Maps are sold by the National Land Survey of Finland and Karttakeskus.
- Vesiretkeilykartasto: Canoe route map - Keskinen Saimaa (Linnansaari National Park, Haapaselkä, Joutenvesi, Kolovesi National Park, Kermajärvi) 1:50 000. Maps are sold at local tourists information offices and Saimaa Nature Centre Riihisaari.
- Maastokartat: Terrain maps nos 4221 01, 02, 04, 05 and 07, 1:20 000. The map is sold by the National Land Survey of Finland and well-stocked bookstores.
- GT tiekartta Itä-Suomi: GT Roadmap Finland East, 2010, 1:250 000. The maps are sold by Karttakeskus and well-stocked bookstores.
Map Sales Points