The Fortress area is open at all hours. The Fortress is easiest to explore when there is no snow on the ground. The parking area is cleared of snow in winter.
Entrance is free.
Guided tours of the Kärnäkoski Fortress, subject to a charge, are available by advance booking. Organiser: the Partakoski Village Association. Contacts: www.partakoskenkylat.fi (in Finnish).
- Address: Partakoskentie 846, 54800 Savitaipale.
- The Kärnäkoski Fortress is managed by Metsähallitus. Customer service: Saimaa Nature Centre Riihisaari
- Telephone: +358 206 39 5964
- E-mail: saimaa(at)metsa.fi
- The Partakoski Village Association (www.partakoskenkylat.fi, in Finnish) is responsible for the maintenance of the Fortress parking area, dry toilet, lean-to-shelter and jetties, guided tours and firewood supply. The Village Association also maintains the Kärnäkoski Mill.
- A notification must be submitted to Metsähallitus of any events organised at the site: instructions and a form (www.metsa.fi, in Finnish)
- Research and other activities not covered by Everyman's rights require the landowner's permission. (Instructions and a form, www.metsa.fi, in Finnish)
Directions and Maps
The Kärnäkoski Fortress is situated in Savitaipale, located in the southern area of Lake Saimaa, 40 kilometres from Lappeenranta and 50 kilometres from Mikkeli.
By Car and by Bicycle
- From the Savitaipale church village, drive approximately 10 kilometres north on road no. 409.
- The parking area next to the Kärnäkoski Mill is cleared of snow in winter. The lean-to-shelter and barge harbour are a 500-metre walk from the parking area.
By Own Boat
- The small jetty next to the Fortress on the Lake Saimaa side is accessible for small boats. The jetty is not, however, on a marked waterway. The water around the jetty is approximately 2 metres deep and there is room for three boats.
- Another jetty is located in the barge harbour on the Lake Kuolimo side, which is accessible to boats with side and anchor mooring. The barge harbour jetty is not on a marked waterway. The water around the jetty is approximately 2 metres deep and there is room for three boats.
- There is a guest harbour close to Partakoski village: 61°16,1' N 27°42,4' E (WGS 84 coordinate system), nautical chart 206. The guest harbour is around 1.5 km walking distance by road from the Fortress. Harbour services include fuelling and emptying of the septic tank. Please note that, upon arrival at the harbour, the boat must fit under a power line which is at a height of 12 metres.
- Retkeily GT Etelä-Suomi: GT Outdoor map Finland South, 2012, 1:250 000. The maps are sold by Karttakeskus and well-stocked bookstores.