Sights and Activities at the Kajaani Castle Ruins

  • Bookings for a guided tour for groups, subject to a charge, to the Kajaani tourist guides. For further information, see the Kajaani Info website (www.visitkajaani.fi).
  • The café, restaurant and accommodation services of the town centre are within walking distance of the castle ruins.
  • The fishing area covers the shores of the island on which the castle ruins are located as well as both river banks of the Linnanvirta. Read more (www.kalallakainuussa.fi). The fishing jetty in the Rantapuisto Park is also accessible for the disabled and provides opportunities for safe fishing for families with children.
  • In the park along the river, footpaths run on both sides of the Linnanvirta. There is a playground for children in the park. Culture enthusiast can admire the statues of Eino Leino and Elias Lönnrot in the park.
  • Tervakanava (the ‘Tar Canal') is located approximately 150 metres west of the castle ruins. Boats carrying tar in Kainuu used to pass the Ämmäkoski and Koivukoski Rapids in the Kajaaninjoki via the Tervakanava. The canal was used in the period 1846–1915.
  • Renfors route (9.2 km) runs next to the Kajaaninjoki on both sides. The Kajaani Castle ruins are located on an island in the river along the route. The route is easy and marked with signposts and information boards. The route is recommended to be walked anticlockwise. Café services and toilet facilities are available along the route. A map and description of the route in English (www.kainuunliikunta.fi, in Finnish).

    Fly fishermen along the Linnanvirta. Photo: Jyri Kokkonen