Customer Service and Guidance
- Kuhmo Visitor Centre Petola
- Guided trips for school and daycare centre groups: For more information, please contact the Petola Visitor Centre.
- The Matokangas and Valkeiskangas parking areas have information boards in Finnish, English and Russian.
Services Offered by Enterprises and Organisations in the Nature Reserve
Meals, Where to Buy and Prepare
Shops and Kiosks
Lean-to Shelters and Campfire Sites
There are four lean-to shelters with campfire sites in the Iso-Palonen - Maariansärkät area:
In addition, there are four other campfire sites along the trails:
Open flame is not permitted even at a campfire site if a forest fire warning has been issued.
For more information on open flame at a designated campfire site, please refer to the ABC of Hiking instructions.
- The waters in the area are natural waters that have not been tested. You may use the water at your own risk.
- It is always advisable to boil surface water such as water from lakes, rivers and streams before drinking it, since water quality varies from one area to another.
- It is recommended that you bring your own drinking water.
- For tips on hiking and drinking water see the ABC of Hiking.
- There are no waste-bins in the nature reserve. Measures should be taken in advance to avoid taking unnecessary waste into the area. Biodegradable waste should be placed in a toilet or composter, and small amounts of clean paper and cardboard can be used as kindling in a campfire. Read more about Hiking without littering.
- There is a collection point at the Matokangas parking area for recycling plastic, metal, mixed waste and glass.
- Environmental tips
There is a dry toilet near every campfire site and lean-to shelter.
Camping and Lean-to Shelters
You are allowed to camp temporarily near lean-to shelters and campfire sites.
- Two lean-to shelters by Lake Iso-Palonen, lean-to shelters by Lakes Veräinen and Iso-Tahkonen
- Four other campfire sites
Lodging in the Surrounding Area
- There are lodging enterprises in Lentiira village (www.lentiirankyla.com, in Finnish)
- For information on accommodation in the nearby areas, see the sites of Kuhmo Town (www.kuhmo.fi) and Wild Taiga (www.wildtaiga.fi)
- Wild Nordic (Villi Pohjola) (www.wildnordic.fi/book-a-cabin) offers wilderness cabins, cottages and other accommodation.
Services for the Disabled
There are no services for the disabled in the Iso-Palonen - Maariansärkät area.
Special Services for Boaters
A gravel boat ramp at the west end of Lake Iso-Palonen.
Other Services in the Surrounding Area
- The nearest shops,banks, service stations and other services can be found in the centre of Kuhmo (www.kuhmo.fi).
- Other tourism services Wild Taiga (www.wildtaiga.fi)