Customer Service and Guidance
- Siida - The Sámi Museum and Northern Lapland Nature Centre
- The customer service point of Metsähallitus in Siida offers information about Inarijärvi lake Area and other hiking destinations in Northern Lapland Area. In addition to the permanent and temporary exhibitions, Siida offers information on hiking, and sells maps and permits for the whole of Northern Lapland.
- Ivalo Customer Service
- Information and maps for the whole of Northern Lapland.
- Permits for fishing, hunting and driving motor vehicles cross-country.
Services offered by enterprises and other organisations in Inarijärvi Lake Area
Meals, Where to Buy and Prepare
Cáfes, Restaurants, Shops and Kiosks
- There is restaurant Sarrit (www.siida.fi) in Siida.
- Shops, cáfes and restaurants can be found in the village of Inari and Ivalo.
The water in the lake is normally suitable for drinking, but it has not been tested. It is advisable not to drink the water of Lake Inarijärvi in the immediate vicinity of the village of Inari. Read more about drinking water Hiking in Finland.
- There are serviced campfire sites at the boating bases and the other rest spots maintained by Metsähallitus. Read more about how to light a campfire on the Hiking in Finland webpages.
- In addition to the outdoor campfire sites, there are also sheltered campfire sites at the boating bases. Among these bases are Pielpavuono, Kahkusaari, Suovasaari, Petäjäsaari, Jääsaari, Tyllylahti, Peiliniemi and Kärppäsaari.
- When lighting a campfire, you must primarily use designated campfire sites. Lighting campfires is completely forbidden when a forest fire warning is in effect.
- There are woodsheds at the boating bases and at the other rest spots. At the woodsheds, there are roughly 30-cm-long logs and an axe for chopping them. Please use the logs sparingly.
- There are waste collection bins at the departure harbours and some boating bases also have waste collection bins. It is recommended that boaters and canoeists take rubbish with them from the lake. Biodegradable waste should be placed in a toilet or composter, and small amounts of clean paper and cardboard can be used as kindling in a campfire. Read more about Hiking without littering.
- The rest spots mentioned in the route description are managed by Metsähallitus' Northern Lapland Park Area. More information is available at the Siida Northern Lapland Nature Centre and Ivalo Customer Service.
- There are dry toilets at the open wilderness huts and at the boating bases.
Camping and Lean-to shelters
- In recent years, camping sites have been constructed in the vicinity of the boating bases, such as the camping sites at Petäjäsaari, Tyllylahti and Suovasaari. At the camping sites, there are wooden tent platforms that can be attached to each other. The platforms are kept in the shelter so that they remain dry and clean.
- Everyman's rights (www.ymparisto.fi) permit temporary camping as long as you do not disturb any other visitors to the area.
Open Wilderness Huts
You may stay one or two nights at an open wilderness hut; for more detailed information visit the Types of Huts webpages. The open wilderness huts by Lake Inarijärvi are traditional wilderness huts at their best. In stormy weather, they provide a dry and warm shelter for those paddling manually and for motor boaters.
- Petäjäsaari Hut, on the northwestern shore of Hoikka Petäjäsaari Island on Lake Inarijärvi.
- Jääsaari Hut, on the southeastern shore of Iso Jääsaari Island on Lake Inarijärvi.
- Kaikunuora Hut, on the southern part of Lake Inarijärvi, in the northern end of Sarminiemi.
- Kärppäsaari Hut, south of Varttasaari Island on Lake Inarijärvi, in the northern end of Kärppäsaari Island.
- Kahkusaari Hut, northeast of Viimassaari Island on Lake Inarijärvi, on the southeastern shore of Kahkusaari Island.
- Pisteri Hut, (in Finnish) northern part of Lake Inarijärvi, on the eastersouthern side of Pisteriniemi Island
It is recommended that you cook food at the separate cooking shelters at the boating bases. That way, those sleeping at the open wilderness huts will not be disturbed.
- Petäjäsaari rental cabin on Hoikka Petäjäsaari Island and a rental hut at Kettuniemi on the lake's northern part.
- The Kettuniemi rental hut can be booked at the Siida Northern Lapland Nature Centre or Ivalo Customer Service.
- Metsähallitus' Natural Heritage Services has two cabins by Lake Inarijärvi meant for tourism entrepreneurs and other commercial trip organisers. The Mahlatti cabin is suitable for a small group. There is room for about ten people on the sleeping platform at the Selkälahti canoeing base. The cabins can also be rented by individual visitors – however, you may not make any advance bookings (only 7 days prior to arrival).
Camping Grounds and Services for Caravan Tourists
- In the village of Inari, Ivalo, Kaamanen, Partakko and at Lake Ukonjärvi.
- In the village of Inari, Ivalo, Kaamanen, Partakko and in rental huts of Metsähallitus.
Hotels and Holiday Cottages
- In the village of Inari, Ivalo and Nellim.
Lodging in the Surrounding Areas
- There are accommodation services, for example, in Ivalo, Veskoniemi, Nellim, Lake of Ukonjärvi, Inari, Kaamanen and Partakko.
- Boats, canoes, snow mobiles and hiking gear can be rented from local companies (www.inarilapland.fi).
Services for Boaters
- On Lake Inarijärvi, there are marked channels, which should be used because there are plenty of rocks elsewhere.
- The general depth of the channels is 1,8 m, but in some narrow places and near the shore it is only 1 m. The huts around the lake are usually easy to approach, but there are no official marked channels to the huts.
- The boat channels and depths are marked in Inarijärven veneilykartta (Lake Inarijärvi boating map no 480).
- Fishing harbours and boat harbours are located in Veskoniemi, Nanguniemi, Nellim and Inari.
- Boat ramps are located in Ivalo, Veskoniemi, Nanguniemi, Nellim, Ukonjärvi, Inari, Väylä, Partakko and Nitsijärvi.
Where to Buy Fuel
- There is no fuel available in the harbours, but in the village of Inari the petrol stations in the village are close to the harbour.
Other Services in the Surrounding Area
- An ATM, post office services, a health clinic, two food shops, a medicine cupboard, a taxi and a petrol station can be found in the village of Inari.
- The nearest health centre, pharmacy and the other shops are located in Ivalo.
- There is an air transport service in Inari.
- The local companies (www.inarilapland.fi) offer guided tours, such as fishing trips, boat trips, whitewater rafting trips and snow mobile trips.
- Versatile information on Lapland and tourist services in the area can be found on the Lapland tourism website (www.lapland.fi/visit/).