Hossa National Parks is located between road Kuusamontie (main road 6, E63) and road Suomussalmi - Murtovaara (road 843). Most of the national park situates in the municipality of Suomussalmi, but parts of it are in municipalities of Kuusamo and Taivalkoski.
- Follow main road 5 (E63, Kuusamontie) for 66 km to the north from Suomussalmi or for 73 km to the south from Kuusamo. At the village of Peranka turn onto road 9190 (Selkoskyläntie) and drive east for 25 km. Then turn north on road 843 (Hossantie) and drive past the village of Hossa. It is an 8 km drive along road 843 to Hossa Visitor Centre's intersection. From this intersection it is 700 m to the visitor centre, address Jatkonsalmentie 6.
- From Suomussalmi you can alternately take road 843 all the way to Hossa.
- When coming from the north take road 843 (Kurvisentie). This shortens the journey by 20 km.
- You can get to the west part of the national park by turning off of main road 5 onto a gravel road Pistonlehdon road 3 km to the north of the village of Peranka.
For more detailed parking area addresses, please see below under Starting Points for Excursions.
By Public Transportation
- During the school days operates a coach from Kuusamo to Juntusranta. It stops by Hossa Lomakeskus.
- There are coaches daily, which travel along main road 5 to Peranka from Kajaani and Kuusamo. From the village of Peranka a hiking trail leads 9 km to Kukkuri open wilderness hut on the west boundary of the national park and 38 km to Hossa Visitor Centre.
- The closest railway station (www.vr.fi) is 170 km from Hossa in Kontiomäki.
- The closest airport (www.finavia.fi) is 85 km from Hossa in Kuusamo.
- The Kajaani airport is 210 km from Hossa.
- Coach timetables are available at the Matkahuolto website (www.matkahuolto.fi) and from their customer service telephone, tel. int. +358 200 4000.
- Visitors can also inquire about timetables at Hossa Visitor Centre +358 40 751 7221.
- Journey.fi provides information on public transportation to Hossa (opas.matka.fi/)
Starting Points for Excursions
- The most logical starting point for excursions is at Hossa Visitor Centre (Jatkonsalmentie 6).
- Starting points for hiking trails: Visitor Centre, Huosivirta parking area, Hossalaislammet parking area, Lihapyörre parking area, Aittojoki parking area and Julma-Ölkky parking area.
- Starting points for mtb-routes: Visitor Centre and Hossalaislammet parking area.
- Starting points for canoeing routes.
- Connecting hiking trails leading to Hossa National Park begin at Hossa Village, at the side of main road 5 at Peranka Village, and from the Itäraja Hiking Trail.
- There are boat landing places at Huosivirta, Saari Hoilua, Pitkä Hoilua, Iso Valkeinen, Lihapyörre, Tolosenvirta, Julma-Ölkky, Niskakoski, Pieni Nimetön, Kukkuri, the River Peranganjoki and Lake Perankajärvi. A boat ramp is located by road 843 to the south of Hossa Village at the juction of Lake Hossanjärvi and the River Hossanjoki. Use of motor boats is only permitted in Lake Hossanjärvi.