Muorravaarakanruoktu Rental Turf Hut
- Northern Lapland, Municipality of Sodankylä, Urho Kekkonen National Park.
- Muorravaarakanruoktu rental turf hut, coordinates: Euref-Fin (~ WGS84) lat: 68° 15.487' lon: 28° 15.518' ETRS-TM35FIN: N: 7572173 E: 552027.
- The hut is situated next to the River Muorravaarakka on the west side of Tiyhtelmäkuru Ravine.
- Suitable for overnight stays for hikers with good navigation skills. The hut is located in the Urho Kekkonen National Park's wilderness zone, which has no marked trails.
- The closest huts are the Muorravaarakka open and reservable wilderness hut, the Anterinmukka open wilderness hut, the Jyrkkävaara open and reservable wilderness hut, the Sarvijoki open and reservable wilderness hut, the Sudenpesä reservable turf hut, the Hammaskuru open and reservable wilderness hut, the Luirojärvi open and reservable wilderness hut, the Kuusela rental hut, and the Rajankämppä open wilderness hut.
- You can get to the hut on foot or by skis from several starting points (pdf 659kt). The distance from Aittajärvi is ca. 27 km and from Raja-Jooseppi ca. 33 km.
- From the March to September is possible to stay in the hut maximum two nights in a row and from October to February maximum 7 nights in a row.
You can pick up the keys at the following places
Ivalo Customer Service
the key drop box in Saariselkä
the key drop box in Kiilopää
Samperin Savotta (samperi.com) in Savukoski
Tulppion Majat (tulppio.fi, Finnish) in Savukoski
Sodankylä Väri- ja Urheilu Simonen Oy (simonen.fi, in Finnish)
Taxi Vuotso / JJR Pehkonen Oy, tel. 044-243 2449, 044 2422967 (call in advance).
The customer must have payment receipt and hut reservation confirmation with in so that one can prove the reservation and its payment.
Please check the opening hours of the place where you intend to collect the key in advance. Outside opening hours, the key can be collected from the key box at all key collection points by appointment. If you intend to collect the key after opening hours, contact the key collection point 3-5 weekdays before the key collection date.
When collecting the key from Saariselka or Kiilopää, you get instructions for collecting the key from Urho Kekkonen National Park Customer Service. Contact customer service 3-5 weekdays before you collect the key (firstname.lastname@example.org, 020 6397200).
The key can be returned to any of the locations mentioned.
- Two sleeping platforms, matresses, pillows and table.
- A wood-burning stove, a fireplace, a gas cooker, a saucepan, and a frying pan.
- A campfire site, a dry toilet and a woodshed.
- There is a smoke alarm in the hut, but we recommend bringing your own device with you.
- Take own candles, toilet paper and headlamp with you.
- Household water is taken from the river Muorravaarakkajoki.
- Near the Rental turf hut is the Muorravaarakka Open and Reservable Wilderness Hut.
- It is allowed to bring pets in the hut.
- There are no accessible services in the hut.
- You can camp by the campfire sites.
- The route includes some river crossings. There are bridges by the River Suomujoki at Aitaoja, Kotaköngäs, and Porttikoski, by the River Nuorttijoki at Kolsankoski, and by the River Luttojoki at Raja-Jooseppi. The wading cable is located by the River Nuorttijoki some 300 metres upstream from the Kärekeoja hut.
- Please note that it takes some time before the hut is properly warm.
- When leaving the hut, remember that it has to be clean and ready for the next customers.
- Make sure you pack a first-aid kit.
- Metsähallitus follows the principles of litter-free hiking. Visitors are adviced to bring their own waste out of the area. Read more about Hiking Without Littering.
Maintenance and Management
- Metsähallitus, Parks & Wildlife Finland.
- For more information contact Urho Kekkonen National Park Customer Service tel. int. +358 206 39 7200.