Visit Kalajoki Visitor Centre
Liminganlahti Nature Centre is closed 1.1.-4.2.2022. The Finnish Nature Centre Haltia is closed 10.1.–1.2.2022. Koli Nature Centre Ukko is closed 1.1.–26.1.2022. Kuusamo Customer Service Karhuntassu is closed 13.1.–31.1.2022.
In other nature centers in Finland, we require the use of a facial mask and keeping the 2 meter distance to other visitors. In addition, there may be requirements to show the Covid pass, and/or the number of visitors can be limited. More information Nature centers. The length of the restrictions depends on the region. More regional information can be found at the Finnish institute for health and welfare website.
Opening Hours 2020
1.6. - 31.8. Mon - Fri 10 - 17, Sat - Sun 11 - 16, closed 19. - 21.6.
1.9. - 10.10. Wed - Fri 10 - 16, Sat 10 - 15
11.10. - 25.10. Mon - Fri 10 - 17, Sat - Sun 10 - 15
Closed 26.10. - 31.12.2020
At other times by appointment. We reserve the rights to changes.
Directions and Maps
- Highway no. 8 from Kokkola to Oulu runs at a distance of 0.5 km from Kalajoki Visitor Centre. Turn off of the Hiekkasärkät E intersection and at the roundabout, follow the signposts to the Visitor centre (Meriluontokeskus).
- Highway no. 27 from Ylivieska joins Highway no. 8 at the centre of Kalajoki. From the intersection, turn towards Kokkola and drive for about 5 km along Highway no. 8. From the Hiekkasärkät E intersection, turn right and at the roundabout, follow the signposts to the Visitor Centre (Meriluontokeskus).
- Several express and regular service coaches operate between Kokkola and Oulu on Highway no. 8. Most of them stop by the Sand Dunes (Hiekkasärkät). The coaches operating from Ylivieska via Kalajoki to Kokkola and back drive via the Sand Dunes (Hiekkasärkät). More detailed timetables can be found on Matkahuolto (matkahuolto.fi).
- The closest railway stations are in Ylivieska (45 km) and Kokkola (60 km). Train timetables can be found on VR's website (vr.fi).
- The closest airports are at Oulunsalo (Oulu airport, 135 km) and at Kronoby (80 km). Timetables can be found on Finavia (finavia.fi).
- Journey.fi provides information on public transportation to Kalajoki (journey.fi)