Pallas-Yllästunturi National Park is located in Western Lapland, in a forest and fell area between Kolari, Kittilä, Muonio and Enontekiö.
By Public Transportation
A train (www.vr.fi) travels from Helsinki to Rovaniemi daily and during peak seasons a train travels from Helsinki to Kolari.There is a coach connection (www.matkahuolto.fi) from Rovaniemi to Kittilä, Muonio and Hetta.There is a coach connection (www.matkahuolto.fi) from Kolari to Ylläs.
The closest airports are in Kittilä and Enontekiö. There are daily flights (www.finavia.fi) to Kittilä year-round and to Enontekiö during peak seasons. For information on other flights to Enontekiö check the municipality of Enontekiö website (www.tosilappi.fi).
Going to the Villages of Ylläsjärvi and Äkäslompolo
- There are coach connections from every train in Kolari to Ylläsjärvi and Äkäslompolo.
- A coach from Kittilä travels to Ylläsjärvi and Äkäslompolo on school days.
- During peak seasons coaches and shuttle taxis transport visitors from Kittilä airport to Äkäslompolo and Ylläsjärvi (www.finavia.fi)
- Outside peak seasons shuttle taxis from the airport to Äkäslompolo must be reserved at least 24 hours before your flight arrives. Tel. int. +358 200 14919.
- There are also direct coachs from Helsinki to the villages of Ylläsjärvi and Äkäslompolo during peak seasons. For more information check out the Ylläs tourist pages (www.yllas.fi)
Going to Pallastunturi Fell
- There is a daily coach (www.matkahuolto.fi), which travels the route Rovaniemi - Kittilä - Jerisjärvi - Muonio. There is a coach from Muonio to Pallastunturi Fells every weekday morning.
- During peak seasons a coach travels from Kolari through Muonio to Hotel Jeris, Pallastunturi Fell, Hotel Vuontispirtti and Hetta, Enontekiö.
- During peak seasons a coach or shuttle taxi travel from Kittilä airport to Hotels Jeris and Vuontispirtti and on to Muonio (www.finavia.fi).
Going to Hetta Village
- A coach (www.matkahuolto.fi) travels daily from Rovaniemi through Muonio to Hetta Village, which is the municipal centre of Enontekiö.
Pallas-Yllästunturi National Park lies inbetween the Tornio - Kilpisjärvi road (E8-road) and the Rovaniemi - Kittilä - Tepasto - Enontekiö road (roads 79 and 956). Visitors with cars can access the park's trails from the villages of Ylläsjärvi and Äkäslompolo, at Pallastunturi Fell, from Hetta Village, as well as, from other villages and tourist centres surrounding the National Park. The most popular starting points for hikes are in the vicinity of Yllästunturi Visitor Centre Kellokas, Pallastunturi Visitor Centre, and Fell Lapland Visitor Centre.
- The village of Äkäslompolo (www.excursionmap.fi) is on the northwest-side of Yllästunturi Fell and the village of Ylläsjärvi to its south. To drive to Ylläs turn either onto road 939 (Ylläs - Ylläsjärvi) or road 940 at the town of Kolari. From Kolari it is 34 km to Ylläsjärvi and 40 km to Äkäslompolo. When approaching from the direction of Kittilä turn onto road 939 (to Ylläsjärvi) at Kittilä. Road 940 to Äkäslompolo turns off of this road. From Kittilä it is 36 km to Ylläsjärvi Village and 52 km to Äkäslompolo Village.
- You can get to Pallastunturi Fell (www.excursionmap.fi) by road 97 (Kittilä - Sirkka - Muonio) either from the village of Rauhala along the northeast shore of Lake Jerisjärvi or from the village of Särkijärvi along the northwest shore of Lake Jerisjärvi. Pallastunturi Fell is 71 km from Kittilä and 32 km from Muonio.
- Hikers who want to travel to the Ounastunturi Fells from Hetta Village (www.excursionmap.fi) must first cross Lake Ounasjärvi. Private tourist services provide boat trips across the lake. They also offer a service to transport your car from Hetta to Pallastunturi Fell or vice versa.
Starting Points for Excursions
- When approaching the National Park from the north visitors must first cross Lake Ounasjärvi. Local entrepreneurs offer boat rides across. Visitors are advised to ask each entrepreneur separately about the location of their boat stage.
- Visitors can access ski trails in Hetta Village (www.excursionmap.fi) behind county hall, on the shore of the fishing dock and at Paavontalo on the east side of the village. Cars can be left on the east side of the village at the Fell Lapland Visitor Centre parking area or in the centre of the village at the fishing dock.
- Visitors can get onto the Hietajärvi Lake and on from there to Marasto reindeer roundup site and to the Tappuri herder cabin from Ketomella, road 957, Southside of the River Ounasjoki Bridge and drive 200 m to reach the parking area (www.excursionmap.fi).
- Visitors can access all of the trails around the Pallastunturi Fells from the grounds of Pallastunturi Visitor Centre. Visitors can also get onto the National Park's hiking trails from Ylikyrö Village (www.excursionmap.fi) on the east-side of the fell chain.
- On the west-side of the fell chain a trail starts by the village of Torassieppi Village and during winter an additional ski trail starts at Kerässieppi Village. To reach the start of the Torassieppi trail drive through the village and continue to the end of the main road. There is an unofficial parking area. The Kerässieppi ski trail begins from the immediate vicinity of the Myllyniemi cabins.
- The best place to set-off on the summer trails in the Ylläs area is at Yllästunturi Visitor Centre Kellokas, which is located 3 km from the village of Äkäslompolo on the road to Yllästunturi Fell. Kellokas Visitor Centre can be reached by car and in winter by Ski-bus. Trails which start at Kellokas are Velhopolku Trail to Varkaankuru Ravine, Kiirunankieppi Trail and Seitakierros Circle Trail. Kellokas Visitor Centre is also the starting point for trails leading to Levi, Olos and the Pallastunturi Fells.
- In the village of Äkäslompolo the starting points for summertime trails are close to Äkäs Hotel and Ylläskaltio. Other starting points include Lakes Kesänkijärvi and Pyhäjärvi and Totovaara Hill. Starting points for trails in the village of Ylläsjärvi are at Iso-Ylläs parking area and from the immediate vicinity of Tunturi Hotel.
- Visitors can access the Ylläs skiing trails from the grounds of Kellokas Visitor Centre, the grounds of all the area's hotels and the parking areas of surrounding ski resorts. The best starting point for Aakenustunturi trails is at Totovaara Hill or Pyhäjärvi. The road to Pyhäjärvi is maintained from March onward.
Pallas Hetta Retkeilyopas ja kartta 1:50 000. Joel Ahola ja Karttakeskus 2015. The map is sold by Karttakeskus.
Levi Ylläs, waterproof map, 1:25 000, Calazo Förlag 2017. The map is sold by Yllästunturi Visitor Centre Kellokas and local shops.
- Pallas Ylläs Aakenus, waterproof map, 1:50 000, Calazo Förlag 2016. The map is sold by Yllästunturi, Fell Lapland ja Pallastunturi Visitor Centres and local shops.
- Ylläs Levi Aakenus, waterproof outdoor map 1:50 000. Karttakeskus 2017. The map is sold by Yllästunturi Visitor Centre Kellokas and Karttakeskus.
- Pallas Hetta Olos, waterproof outdoor map 1:50 000. Karttakeskus 2017. Map is sold by Pallastunturi and Fell Lapland Visitor Centres and Karttakeskus.
- Pallas - Ounastunturi geologinen retkeilykartta: Pallas - Ounastunturi geological hiking map, 1:50 000, GTK maanmittauslaitos 2003. The map is sold by Yllästunturi Visitor Centre Kellokas, Fell Lapland Visitor Centre and Karttakeskus.
- Ylläs - Levi geologinen retkeilykartta: Ylläs - Levi geological hiking map, 1:50 000, GTK maanmittauslaitos 2007. The map is sold by Yllästunturi Visitor Centre Kellokas and Karttakeskus.
- Ylläs - Aakenus alueen latukartta: Ylläs - Aakenus area ski trail map, 1:55 000, Ylläksen Matkailuyhdistys ry, 2015. The map is sold by Yllästunturi Visitor Centre Kellokas and Karttakeskus.
- Vaellusreitit, luontopolut Ylläs - Aakenus: Hiking Trails and Nature Trails Ylläs - Aakenus, 1:55 000, Ylläksen matkailuyhdistys ry and Kolari municipality 2013. The map is sold by Yllästunturi Visitor Centre Kellokas and Karttakeskus.
- Enontekiö, opas- ja virkistyskartta: Enontekiö guide and recreation map, 1:100 000, Maanmittauslaitos 2010. The map is sold by Fell Lapland Visitor Centre.
Muonion ulkoilukartta 1:80 000. Muonion Matkailu ry, 2015. The map is sold by Pallastunturi Visitor Centre and lodging places in towns surrounding the Pallastunturi Fells.
- Latukartta Hetan ladut: Hetta skiing trail map, 1:70 000. The map is sold by Fell Lapland Visitor Centre and lodfing places surrounding Hetta.
- Retkeily GT Pohjois-Suomi: GT Outdoor Map Finland North, 2011, 1:400 000. The maps are sold by Karttakeskus and well-stocked bookstores.
Map Sales Points