Eastern Lapland Region
Sodankylä muncipality (www.sodankylä.fi)
Urho Kekkonen National Park
The area is managed by Metsähallitus.
The old Suomunruoktu hut in the Urho Kekkonen National Park has seen many different phases and has had many different uses. As far as we know, it was originally built as a sauna for gold prospectors in 1935. In the following decade, Suomen Latu renovated the hut for hiking purposes and in the war it functioned as a military patrol base. Today it is a historical sight in the basic zone of the Urho Kekkonen National Park.
History of the Old Suomunruoktu Hut
The gold deposits discovered in the River Ivalojoki in the latter part of the 19th century caused a gold rush that continued into the 20th century and was also experienced elsewhere in Lapland. Hopeful gold prospectors also arrived in the Koilliskaira area. In the national park, you will still see some buildings and structures remaining from that period as well as some traces of gold prospecting in the terrain. The old Suomunruoktu hut dates from the gold prospectors' pilgrimage era.
The gold prospectors set up a building by the upper course of the River Suomujoki in 1935. It was originally made into a sauna for gold diggers on the shore of the River Suomujoki. The larger dwelling building was located slightly further up on the gentle slope. Engineer Hollman acted as the builder.
- The old Suomunruoktu hut is a historical sight that is open all year round for independent visits. In summer the destination can be reached by foot, in winter by skiing. The distance from Kiilopää to the hut is about 14 km.
Directions and Maps
By Public Transportation
- There are several coaches which operate daily from Rovaniemi to Ivalo along Highway no. 4 (E75) taking you close to the national park (coaches: Rovaniemi - Sodankylä - Vuotso - Tankavaara - Kakslauttanen (Kiilopää) - Saariselkä - Ivalo). The timetables are available on Matkahuolto's website (www.matkahuolto.fi). The coaches serve as connections from the trains (www.vr.fi) and flights (www.finavia.fi) arriving in Rovaniemi.
- There is a coach connection to Saariselkä and Kiilopää from flights arriving in Ivalo (www.finavia.fi).
- The old Suomunruoktu hut is a destination for independent visits. There are no guiding staff or services at the hut.
- The closest hut is the newer Suomunruoktu Open Wilderness Hut/Reservable Wilderness Hut, which is located on the other side of the river at a distance of about 400 metres. There is also a campfire site, a woodshed and a dry toilet.
Services for the Disabled
- There are no services for the disabled at the old Suomunruoktu hut.
This is the webpage www.nationalparks.fi/theoldsuomunruoktuhut