The Teerisuo - Lososuo trails lead through mires and small forest islets. They are equipped with duckboards, but visitors should bring rubber boots at least during rainy periods. Visitors may also wander off trails in the mire reserve, but we ask that you not do so in spring and early summer so as not to disturb birds during nesting season. The trails are part of the eastern section of UKK Hiking Trail network, which leads from Teerisuo - Lososuo southwest to Hiidenportti National Park and northeast towards the town of Kuhmo.
Starting Points for Trails
- Teerisuo Trail has its starting point at Teerisuo - Lososuo parking area, which is located by road 5284 (Kuhmo - Valtimo). The parking area is equipped with the area's information board.
- The trail has an alternate starting point on road 5284 (Kuhmo - Valtimo) at the Urpovaara intersection. At this point the UKK Hiking Trail crosses road 5284.
- Teerisuo Trail, 11.5 km. Visitors can get a good overall view of the area by travelling this circle trail which circles around Teerisuo. The views which open from the trail vary between vast mire landscape, in its natural state and small forest islets. The trail which travels along easy to travel terrain is marked with red paint symbols.
- Services: Teerisuo lean-to shelter with campfire site and Multisärkkä campfire site.
- Connecting trails: A path turns off the trail at Lake Teerilampi and leads in the direction of Hiidenportti National Park to road 5284 (Kuhmo - Valtimo). This path is part of the Kuhmo UKK Hiking Trail (www.kainuu.fi/ulkoilukartta). Hikers can also continue their treks along the UKK Hiking Trail from Teerisuo - Lososuo parking area and head northeast towards the town of Kuhmo and on from there to Suomussalmi.
- A Trail (7.5 km) from Teerisuo - Lososuo Mire Reserve to Hiidenportti National Park turns off of Teerisuo Trail at Lake Teerilampi. The trail continues via Kiurulampi campfire site and crosses road 5284 (Kuhmo - Valtimo) at the Urpovaara intersection. Kiurulampi campfire site is approximately 1 km from Lake Teerilampi. From the campfire site it is about 2.5 km to road 5284 (Kuhmo - Valtimo). From there it is then another 4 km to Urpovaara parking are in Hiidenportti National Park. The trail is part of UKK Hiking Trail.
- Services: Kiurulampi campfire site
- Connecting trails: The UKK Hiking Trail leads to Kuhmo from the direction of Northern Karelia through Hiidenportti National Park. By following the trail northward hikers can get to the centre of Kuhmo and then continue all the way to Suomussalmi. The trail is marked with blue paint symbols.
- Map: Kainuu outdoor map (www.kainuu.fi/ulkoilukartta).