Oulujärvi Hiking Area is located 80 km west of Kajaani, 150 km east of Oulu and 450 km north of Helsinki. Finland is often referred to as Maiden of Finland because of the shape of the country on the map. Oulujärvi Hiking Area is found at the Maiden of Finland's waist.
By Car or Boat
- It is about 80 km to Lake Oulujärvi from the town of Kajaani, and about 50 km from the municipality of Vaala. From the road 22 (Oulu - Kajaani), you can get to Manamansalo Island along the road 8822 to Petäjälahti, or via Alassalmi ferry from the southern side of the lake. The ferry, which during the summer operates at least every 30 minutes, is an unforgettable experience especially for children.
- If you are coming to Manamansalo by car and using navigator, please, use the address Teeriniementie 156, 88340 Manamansalo.
- The Manamansalo boat harbour is not at use. The pier has rottened and the boat way has got too low.
By Public Transportation
Starting Points for the Excursions
Starting point for the trails is at the Manamansalo Camping (www.manamansalo.fi, in Finnish).
- Maastokartat Terrain maps Q522 Kajaani, R433 Vaala, R511 Osmankajärvi, 1:50 000. Maps are sold by well-stocked bookstores, Karttakeskus and the National Land Survey of Finland.
- Peruskartta Terrain map Q5221 Ärjänsaari, 1:25 000. Maps are sold by well-stocked bookstores, Karttakeskus and the National Land Survey of Finland.
- Manamansalo - Oulujärvi Hiking Area -brochure, which is available from Manamansalo camping ground, from the tourist offices of the surrounding municipalities, and from Metsähallitus customer service points.
- Brochure Manamansalo - the camping ground and the recreational fishing area. The brochure is available from Manamansalo camping ground.
- Outdoor map Vuokatti ja Kainuun kansallispuistot (Vuokatti and Kainuu National Parks), 1:25 000. Karttakeskus 2015. Map is sold by Karttakeskus, Kuhmo Visitor Centre Petola and well-stocked bookstores.
- Maastokartat Terrain maps, 1:20 000, nos 3432 10, 3432 02, 3432 03, 3414 11, 3414 12. The maps are sold by Karttakeskus, the National Land Survey of Finland, and well-stocked bookstores.
- Maastokartat Terrain maps 3423 Utajärvi, 3432 Paltaniemi, 3414 Keskilä, 1:50 000. Maps are sold by well-stocked bookstores, Karttakeskus and the National Land Survey of Finland.
- Pyöräily GT5: Cycling map GT5 Oulu - Suomussalmi, 1:200 000. Karttakeskus 2006. Map is sold by Karttakeskus and well-stocked bookstores.
- GT tiekartta Itä-Suomi: GT Roadmap Finland East, 2010, 1:250 000. The maps are sold by Karttakeskus and well-stocked bookstores.
- Merenkulkulaitoksen järvialueen merikartta T Oulujärvi: Finnish Maritime Adminstration's Chart series of Inland Waterways T Lake Oulu, 1:40 000, 2000. The charts are sold by Karttakeskus and well-stocked bookstores.
Map Sales Points