Linnansaari National Park is located east of the main road no 5. Access to the National Park is by water. The municipality of Rantasalmi is about 44 km from the town of Savonlinna and 45 km from the town of Varkaus. The village of Oravi is 40 km from Savonlinna and 60 km from Varkaus.
- You can drive from either the centre of Rantasalmi 7 km towards Varkaus, to Porosalmi Village, or start your trip from Oravi Village. In summer season both have daily boat services (www.oravivillage.com/en) to the main island of the National Park.
For more detailed parking area addresses, please see below under Starting Points for Excursions.
- Visitors with their own boat can arrive from either Varkaus or Savonlinna directions. Varkaus - Savonlinna route goes through the area.
- The northern parts of the park can be reached from either Heinävesi or Joensuu directions, via Tappuvirta Channel.
- The main island of the park (Linnansaari Island) can be accessed from the east through the Canals of either Oravi or Haponlahti.
- From the Mustalahti Gueststage (3,5 km from the centre of Rantasalmi) it is easy to start your trip to the National Park waters with your own boat.
- From the centre of Rantasalmi you can get to Linnansaari by following the marked route via Ketvele Canal (1,3 m deep).
- On Linnansaari waters there are suitable landing places for both small boats and bigger sailboats. More information on special services for boaters.
- On all the camping sites there are information boards with the map of the National Park.
- Rowing boat and canoe rental
By Public Transportation
- There are train (www.vr.fi), coach (www.matkahuolto.fi) and aeroplane (www.finavia.fi) connections to Savonlinna and Varkaus.
- From Varkaus and Savonlinna there are a daily coach services (www.matkahuolto.fi) on weekdays close to Porosalmi (in Rantasalmi).
- The nearest bus stop when travelling to Linnansaari via Rantasalmi on the coach coming from Varkaus is at the fork of the road to Porosalmi, about 1,5 km away from Porosalmi.
- The nearest bus stop when travelling to Linnansaari via Oravi is on the road 468 at Saimaansydän Oravi. Services of Saimaansydän Oravi include a Canoeing Centre, a hostel, a shop, a restaurant and a guestharbour, which is the departure place for the boat services to the National Park. Oravi Canoeing Centre has tourist information point, and information boards.
By Passenger Boat Service
- During Summer there is a daily boat service (www.oravivillage.com/en) between Oravi and Linnansaari.
- From Poronsalmi there are guided tours (www.jarvisydan.com/en) to Linnansaari.
By Taxi Boat
- During open water there is a taxi boat transportation both from Oravi and from Porosalmi (www.oravivillage.com/en) to Linnansaari.
- Taxi boats are fast boats without a cabin for 1 - 6 people.
By Cruise Boat
- Several enterprises offer charter cruises in the National Park. Some of the enterprises offer charter tours. More information on services offered e.g. in Rantasalmi Travel (www.rantasalmitravel.com) and in Savonlinna Travel (www.savonlinna.travel).
Starting Points for Excursions
- Porosalmi (Porosalmentie 313, Rantasalmi) and Mustalahti (Mustalahdentie, the same as harbour of Rantasalmi, Rantasalmi), or Oravi (Kiramontie 27, Oravi, Savonlinna).
- More precise parking area addresses are not available. Parking area addresses are in Finnish to be used in navigators.
- Starting points for the trails
- Boat ramps for boaters
- Terrain map N514, 1:50 000. Map is sold by Karttakeskus and the National Land Survey of Finland.
- Linnansaaren kansallispuiston kartta: Linnansaari National Park map (www.metsa.fi), 1:50 000. The map is sold by Saimaa Nature Centre Riihisaari and Sammakkoniemi Camping.
- Merikartta M Saimaan vesistö, Savonlinna - Kuopio: Nautical chart M Saimaa lake system, Savonlinna - Kuopio, 1:40 000. Maps are sold by Karttakeskus.
- Yleismerikartta 921, Saimaan vesistö: General nautical chart 921, Saimaa lake system, 1:200 000, 2001. Maps are sold by Karttakeskus.
- Maastokartat: Terrain maps nos 3233 12, 3234 05, 07, 08, 10 and 11, 4211 02, 03, 05 and 06, 4212 01, 1:20 000. Maps are sold by Karttakeskus and the National Land Survey of Finland.
- Retkeily GT Itä-Suomi: GT Outdoor Map Finland East, 2014, 1:250 000. The maps are sold by Karttakeskus and well-stocked bookstores.
Map Sales Points