The Friendship Park, Elimyssalo Nature Reserve
The spot is managed by Metsähallitus.
Latvavaara is a remote house in the wilderness. There has never been a road to Latvavaara.
The farmyard and the buildings typical of the settlement in the wooded hills of Kainuu speak of the dwellers' modest nature-dependent lifestyle. The buildings in the farmyard are in the same form as they were in the 1960s and reveal how abandoned houses wear along with time.
The Latvavaara farmyard is always accessible. The visits are free-of-charge.
- Access to the house must be agreed with the Petola Visitor Centre personnel. There are no personnel in Latvavaara.
- More information on the farm is available at the Kuhmo Visitor Centre Petola.
Directions and Maps
- In order to reach Latvavaara, take the Kuhmo - Hukkajärvi road (no. 9121) from the centre of Kuhmo and drive east for 42 km, thereafter turn left (to the north) on to the Juntintie road. Drive on for 14 km, i.e. a good kilometre past the crossroads at the Saari-Kiekki parking area. There is an info-stand in the beginning of the trail to Latvavaara.
- You can also get to Latvavaara via Levävaara farm: drive for about 13 kilometres along the Juntintie road and turn, following the signposts, into the Saari-Kiekki parking area, which is located at the end of a 1-km-long forest road. Start your trip from the parking area along the hiking trail and walk for about 1.5 km to Levävaara. From Levävaara there is a trail to Latvavaara. The trail is about 2.5 km long and it has been marked with yellow paint marks.
- In winter, the Juntti forest road is not ploughed unless Metsähallitus is felling trees near Elimyssalo.
- Map of the Elimyssalo Nature Reserve
Customer Service and Guidance
- The Kuhmo Visitor Centre Petola in Kuhmo provides guidance and information on the areas of the Friendship Park in addition to selling licences.
- Guided trips for school and daycare centre groups. For more information, please contact the Petola Visitor Centre.
- In Latvavaara, there is a dry toilet behind the cowshed.
- There is no drinking water in Latvavaara.
- Further information on the services is available via the webpages of the Elimyssalo Nature Reserve.
Services for School Groups
Latvavaara is a suitable day-trip destination. The renovated Latvavaaraand Levävaara tell their tale about the life and depopulation of the remote settlements. The trail that links the farms offers a pleasant route for a nature excursion.
This is the webpage www.nationalparks.fi/latvavaarafarm