Sights and Activities at the Kuusisto Bishop's Castle Ruins
The medieval Kuusisto Bishop's Castle was built as a stronghold for bishops of the Catholic church in Finland, on the shore of Piikkiönlahti bay. The castle was built, repaired, extended and used for a couple of centuries. In fact, in the early 1500s this was one of the largest bishop's castles in the Swedish realm. King Gustav Vasa ordered the castle to be demolished in 1528, after which the once grand castle became overgrown.
Orders for a guided tour, subject to a charge, to Kaarina guides/Kaarinan oppaat ry: kaarinanoppaat(at)gmail.com, Lea Heinonen-Eerola tel. +358 400 520 110.
The campfire site and dry toilet are located by the ruins close to the shore. The firewood shed is adjacent to the toilet building.
The marked nature trail of the Kappelimäki Nature Reserve (3.2 km) is by the castle ruin. The nature trail (www.visitkaarina.fi) begins at the Kuusisto Manor parking area.
Kuusisto Art Manor summer café (about 700 m before the castle ruin) hosts an art exhibition. Read more: Kuusisto Art Manor (www.kuusistontaidekartano.com).