Ironworks operated in Kurimo from the 1850s to 1878. Although none of the original buildings have withstood the test of time, their foundations can still be found in the terrain.
The operations of the ironworks were relatively large on a national scale. The products included pig iron, rolled wrought iron, cast ironware, and steel. Lake ore, which was of high quality in the area, was used as raw material. The deposit in the Kurimo region was one of the largest in the whole of Finland. Great amounts of black slag generated during iron production can still be found in the surroundings of the ironworks.
The products of the Kurimo ironworks were of high quality. The company had an outlet in Oulu, where the products were transported by reindeer sledges and boats designed for running rapids. Some of the products were exported, mainly to St. Petersburg. In its heyday, the ironworks had 43 staff.
Social life in the area surrounding the ironworks was active. The range of community facilities in the area included a school, worker housing, cowsheds, stables, and a bakery. The main building, Herrgård, constructed by the owner of the ironworks Axel Backman, was the most impressive of the area's buildings. It provided a setting for the luxurious life of the local gentry.
The history of the Kurimokoski ironworks has inspired Finnish authors also. Patruunan tytär (The daughter of the owner of the ironworks), a book by Ilmari Kianto (1874-1970), relates to the history of the ironworks.