The Kalmosärkkä sandbank is open at all hours. The trail to Kalmosärkkä runs through the beautiful Natura site of Kokkosuo mire in Juntusranta.
There is no winter maintenance at the site and no managed ski trails are available in winter. However, Kalmosärkkä is accessible on skis along the signposted trail. The skiing distance across the lake from the Juntusranta landing site for boats is short.
Entrance is free.
- Address of the site: Nuolentie 46, 89800 Suomussalmi (Kalmosärkkä parking area)
- Kalmosärkkä is administered and managed by Metsähallitus.
Directions and Maps
Kalmosärkkä is situated in Suomussalmi, to the south-west of Juntusranta village some 40 kilometres north-east of Suomussalmi church village, 108 kilometres from Kuusamo and 246 kilometres from Oulu.
- When arriving from the south, drive on Highway 5 (E63) for 45 kilometres north from Suomussalmi church village. When arriving from the north, drive 82 kilometres south from Kuusamo on Highway 5. At Hallasenaho, turn onto road no 9160, drive for 20 kilometres and turn right onto the Nuolentie road. The sign at the crossing says ‘Kalmosärkkä'. Drive 5 kilometres south along the Nuolentie road until you reach a parking area on the left hand side of the road, where the Kalmosärkkä information board is displayed. The 1.3 km trail from the parking area to Kalmosärkkä is marked with red paint.
- When arriving from Juntusranta village, drive about 2 km north along road no 843 and turn right onto road 9160. Drive for 2 kilometres and turn left onto the Nuolentie road. The sign at the crossing says ‘Kalmosärkkä'. Drive 5 kilometres south along the Nuolentie road until you reach a parking area on the left hand side of the road, where the Kalmosärkkä information board is displayed.
By Own Boat
- Kalmosärkkä is accessible by boat or canoe. There is no marked landing site, but locals have traditionally used the north end of the sandbank for landing.