Starting Points for Trails
The main starting points for the trails of the National Park are located at the Heretty and Kalalahti parking areas.
- Heretty Nature Trail, 3,5 km, goes round Kannuslahti Bay of Lake Kurkijärvi. Boards along the trail tell about the history of forestry. Another trail going to the end of Mäyräniemi Cape separates from this trail (300 meters). The trail's difficulty level is intermediate.
- Lortikanvuori Hill Nature Trail, 3 km, is located in the middle part of the park. Lortikanvuori is a restricted area, where walking is not allowed outside the trail, except in winter when the snow is covering the terrain. Because of altitude differences and rockiness, the trail is demanding.
The nature trails are marked with red paint on trees.
Although the trails of the National Park are not marked as actual circle trails, the signposted routes of the park form many circular trails of different lengths. When planning a route and walking along it, it is wise to utilise the map of the excursionmap.fi service. Some route options are presented below.
Heretty as the starting point:
- Heretty - Latokuusikko - Kuorejärvi - Heretty, 7 km. The trail's difficulty level is intermediate.
- Heretty - Latokuusikko - Vahterjärvi - Heretty, 10 km. The trail's difficulty level is intermediate.
The Kalalahti parking area at the end of the Huhtala road as the starting point:
- Kalalahti Trail 4.5 km (clockwise). For the most part, the trail goes along the remains of an old forest road and is therefore easy to walk.
- Vahterjärven Kierros Trail 11 km (clockwise). The trail's difficulty level varies from easy to intermediate. The most demanding stretch is the trail from Kalalahti to Lake Vahterjärvi.
- Services: Campfire site, camping site and lean-to shelter in Kalalahti; campfire site, lean-to shelter and camping site by Lake Vahterjärvi; campfire site on the southern shore of the Lortikkalampi pond.
- Sights: Lortikanvuori Hill Nature Trail, the bicycle road between Heretty and Lortikka, the Lortikka loggers' cabin, the beavers' "forest works" in Kalakorpi woods.
The circle trails mentioned above can also be combined into a trail of about 20 km: Heretty – Latokuusikko forest – Lake Vahterjärvi - Kalalahti - Lortikka – Heretty.
The trails are marked with blue colour.
The trail between the cabins of Heretty and Lortikka was built for cycling in the 1950s. It is 4 km long, and still in good enough condition for mountain biking. From Lortikka it is possible to return to Heretty along a forest road. This makes a 10 km loop altogether.
Walking with a Baby Pram
The trail from Heretty to the campfire site at Kannuslahti (500 metres) is accessible also with a baby pram.