Customer Service and Guidance
- Syöte Visitor Centre, tel +358 206 39 6550
- Syöte Visitor Centre has the following services: Information on and instructions for hiking, maps and small nature-related products on sale, auditorium (60 seats), exhibitions, a café and guided tours on nature trails.
Meals, Where to Buy and Prepare
Cafés and Restaurants
- The café at Nature Centre is open at our opening hours. We offer hot and cold drinks and something salty and sweet to eat.
- The services of the Iso-Syöte holiday resort (www.syote.fi) are close by.
- Several local tourism enterprises and other organisations offer also cafe and restaurant services.
Lean-to Shelters and Wilderness Huts
- Day trip huts Riihitupa and Annintupa
- Lake Lauttalampi and Lake Kellarilampi lean-to shelters
Making open fires is always prohibited at both marked campfire sites and when fires are permitted by the land owner if a forest fire warning has been issued for the area (ilmatieteenlaitos.fi).
- This prohibition does not apply to cooking shelters or other fireplaces with a flue.
The water in springs and flowing streams within the hiking area is usually safe to drink, but it has not been tested.
- It is the responsibility of each hiker to dispose of waste that accumulates during the trip. Biodegradable waste should be placed in a toilet or composter, and small amounts of clean paper and cardboard can be used as kindling in a campfire. Read more about Hiking without littering.
- Syöte Visitor Centre has toilets including a toilet for the disabled.
- There are dry toilets at all the hiking area's rest spots and wilderness huts.
- There is a dry toilet at Lake Kellarilampi, which is wheelchair accessible.
Camping and Lean-to Shelters
Camping in Iso-Syöte Hiking Area is permitted as an Everyman's Right (www.environment.fi).
- There are lean-to shelters at Lakes Lauttalampi and Kellarilampi.
- Lighting campfire is only permitted at designated spots at lean-to shelters.
Lodging in the Surrounding Area
Holiday resorts in the Syöte area offer many different types of accommodation; hotels, cottages, camping grounds, caravan parks and farm lodging. More information can be found on the Iso-Syöte holiday resort website (www.syote.fi).
- Resorts in Syöte rent out skis and hiking gear. More information can be found on the Iso-Syöte holiday resort website (www.syote.fi).
Services for the Disabled
- Syöte Visitor Centre is accessible by wheelchair and the building has a toilet for the disabled.
- Wingbeats in the Wilderness, a nature trail, is located near the Syöte Visitor Centre and is accessible by wheelchair with assistance of an aide.
- The whole of Kellarilampi Nature Trail is accessible by wheelchair. Services on the trail, which can be used by the disabled are a lean-to shelter, a dry toilet, an angling pier, and a boat and canoe stage.
Services Offered by Enterprises and Other Organisations in Iso-Syöte
There is a variety of tourism enterprises and other organisations that offer services in the nature reserve. They have a cooperation agreement with Metsähallitus and they follow the principles of sustainable nature tourism when operating in nature reserve.
- Information on holiday resort and Syöte Village services can be found on the Iso-Syöte resort website (www.syote.fi).
Other Services in the Surrounding Area
- The closest medical centres are at Taivalkoski, Address: Sairaalantie 8, tel. int. +358 40 860 9001, at Pudasjärvi Address: Juhontie 8, tel. int. +358 20 690 220.
- The closest pharmacies are at the Tunturi Market Iso-Syöte (Medicine cabinet), tel. int. +358 440 838 668, at Taivalkoski (Taivalkosken apteekki), tel. int. +358 40 480 8000, at Pudasjärvi (Pudasjärven apteekki), tel. int. +358 8 821 185.
- Postal services can be found at the Pudasjärvi post office, tel. int. +358 200 71000.
- Sights in the surrounding area:
- Syöte National Park
- Rytivaara Crown Tenant Farm
- Kaunislampi Old-growth Forest Preserve
- Iso-Syöte is Finland's southernmost fell. It rises to 431 m above sea-level. From the top opens a splendid view of Syöte National Park's forested hills and surroundings. The view is ever changing. In autumn during the ‘Ruska' season the terrain is ablaze with colour. During summer the midnight sun lights up the surrounding at all hours and during winter crown snow weighs down the branches of trees.
- Iso-Syöte is also a well-known holiday resort. More information can be found on the Iso-Syöte holiday resort website (www.syote.fi).
- Municipality of Pudasjärvi tourist services (www.pudasjarvi.fi).
- Municipality of Taivalkoski tourist services (www.visittaivalkoski.fi).