Customer Service and Guidance
- Metsähallitus answers questions about Evo Hiking Area year round:
- Evo Centre HAMK
- Evo Centre is open during school year.
- Maps and other small products for sale.
- Information on hiking and guidance in Evo Centre.
- Information about guided tours for groups: HAMK University of Applied Sciences, Evo (www.hamk.fi).
Services Offered by Enterprises and Organisations in the Evo Hiking Area
Meals, where to buy and prepare
Shops, Kiosks and the Canteen
- HAMK University of Applied Sciences, Evo (www.hamk.fi) has a canteen which serves lunch (Mon-Fri), and also sells coffee, ice cream and sweets.
- It is advisable to ask at Evo Centre to make sure the canteen and the kiosk are open. The kiosk is open during Evo Centre opening hours.
- The nearest shops are located in Lammi (www.hameenlinna.fi).
Campfire sites, Cooking Shelters and Lean-to Shelters
There is a campfire site at each lean-to shelter and camping site which are marked in the Ilvesvaellus Trail map. There are lean-to shelters at, for example, the following locations:
- Lake Syrjänalunen
- Lake Valkea Mustajärvi
- Lake Vähä-Keltajärvi
- Lake Savijärvi
- Lake Sorsajärvi
- Lake Koveronjärvi
- There are three cooking shelters around Lakes Niemisjärvet.
Making open fires is always prohibited at both marked campfire sites and when fires are permitted by the land owner if a forest fire warning has been issued for the area (ilmatieteenlaitos.fi).
- This prohibition does not apply to cooking shelters or other fireplaces with a flue.
- Evo Centre (outside in the front side, near the end of the building)
- In HAMK University of Applied Sciences in Evo, there is a tap for filling also large canisters.
- There is drinking water available at Lake Niemisjärvet.
- There is a natural spring along Syrjäsenalun harjupolku Trail.
- There is a well at the camping site by Lake Koveronjärvi and at Kelkute Cabin and Kristianin torppa.
- There is a well along the trail south of Iso-Tarus.
- The surface water from the lakes, rivers and brooks must be boiled before use. Water in the springs and running water in the brooks is usually good for drinking. However, the quality of the water cannot be monitored, so the use of natural water is at your own risk.
- Look at the tips for outdoors drinking water in Hiking in Finland -pages.
- Read more about the status of wells on the page "What is new".
- There are no waste-bins in the Evo Hiking Area, except the recycling points. Measures should be taken in advance to avoid taking unnecessary waste into the area. Of the waste that accumulates during your trip, you can use campfire sites to burn those articles which can safely be burnt, and leave biodegradable waste in the dry toilets. Take all other waste out of the area. Read more about Hiking without Littering.
- The recycling point is located at Lake Niemisjärvet.
- There are toilets at Evo Centre. Toilets are available during opening hours.
- There are dry toilets at each lean-to shelter in the hiking area.
Camping and Lean-to Shelters
- The free camping sites are located at Lake Valkea Mustajärvi, Lake Niemisjärvi and Lake Kovero. Camping is allowed also near the lean-to shelters.
- The facilities of the camping sites include a campfire place, firewood and an axe, and a dry toilet.
- There are 11 lean-to shelters and 3 reservable lean-to shelters in the hiking area.
- The facilities at the lean-to shelters include a campfire place, firewood and an axe, and a dry toilet.
Rental Cabins and Lean-to Shelters
- Käenpesä is a lean-to shelter for up to ten persons that is available on reservation. It is located alongside Lake Ylinen Rautjärvi in the Evo Camping Centre near the swimming area. The shelter has a fireplace that can be used even when forest fire warnings are in effect. There is a dry toilet next to the shelter. Reservations: Metsähallitus Customer Service, hame(at)metsa.fi, tel. int. +358 206 39 4630.
Mustajärvi Rental Hut
6 persons. Equipment: Wood-heated stove, an electric cooker and oven, a refrigerator, electric lighting, beds, mattresses, covers and pillows. There is a dry toilet, well, woodshed and sauna in the yard. The water in the well is not drinkable.
Mustajärvi rental hut is used by cattle shepherds from 4 June to 27 August 2018. Information and reservations from Metsähallitus Customer Service: hame(at)metsa.fi, tel. int. +358 206 39 4630.
- Onnin maja Rental Hut 4 persons. Equipment: Wood-heated stove, candle and paraffin lamp lighting, gas cooker, tableware for 12. Water from the well. The well at Onnin maja is not in use! Water in this well is not drinkable. Outdoor toilet, shed and campfire site. Swimming possibility in the lake, by the sauna. The beach is gently sloping by the dock. Term of lease 1.4.-30.11. Information and reservations from Metsähallitus Customer Service: hame(at)metsa.fi, tel. int. +358 206 39 4630.
- Evon luonto
- Ruuhijärvi, Syväjärvi and Kalliojärvi, reservations (www.evonluonto.fi)
- Häme Polytechnic
- Rahtijärven kämppä Cabin, reservations (www.hamk.fi) tel.int. +358 3646 5302.
- The town of Hämeenlinna
- Kelkutteen kämppä Cabin and Kristianin kaskenpolttajan torppa Cabin, reservations (www.hame.fi).
- Reservable lean-to shelters: Erakkomurju, Ukkoherra and Vonkamies, reservations (www.hame.fi).
Camping Areas for Groups
There are two camping areas mainly for groups.
- The Evo Camping Centre offers an excellent setting with permanent structures for organising large camps and events. Camp reservations will be taken from late autumn 2010 onwards.
- The camping area of Lake Tarus, reservations (www.hame.fi).
Lodging in the Surrounding Area
- Boats, canoes and bicycles can be rented from Evon Luonto (www.evonluonto.fi)
- Canoes can be rented from Evo Centre.
Services for the Disabled
- There is a dry toilet suitable for the disabled at Lake Niemisjärvi.
- There is a fishing platform suitable for disabled at Lake Niemisjärvi
Other Services in the Surrounding Area