There are several trails of varying lengths to choose from in Elimyssalo. The area has a total of 24 km of hiking trails. The rather easy-to-walk, clearly signposted trails take the hiker through a tapestry of mires and heaths. There are two unoccupied wilderness farms along the trails, Levävaara and Latvavaara. Wetland areas along the trails have duckboards.
Starting Points for Trails
Elimyssalo has two starting points for hiking trails, the southern one at the Saari-Kiekki parking area and the northern one at the Viiksimo parking area.
- Saari-Kiekki - Levävaara, 1.5 km. The distance from the Saari-Kiekki parking area to the Levävaara farm is some 1.5 km. The signposted trail going south from Levävaara leads to the Kotijoki watermill and onwards outside the area to the Kuikka cabin.
- Services: a lean-to shelter with a campfire site by Lake Saari-Kiekki.
- Sights: Levävaara, a mire restoration, a beaver dam, the Kotijoki mill.
- Levävaara - Latvavaara, 2.5 km. The trail from Levävaara to Latvavaara is marked in the terrain with yellow paint. You can start the trail at the Saari-Kiekki parking area or along Juntintie Road. The trail can also be walked as a circular route, in which case you walk part of it along Juntintie Road and the road leading to the Saari-Kiekki parking area. The total length of the trail will then be about 7 km.
- A trail round Lake Elimysjärvi, 13 km. The trail goes from Saari-Kiekki round Lake Elimysjärvi and back. It is marked in the terrain with red paint.
- Services: the lean-to shelters of Saari-Kiekki and the Saunaniemi Point of Lake Elimysjärvi, a campfire site in Elimyskangas on the northwestern side of the lake.
- Sights: Levävaara, a mire restoration, a beaver dam, Lake Elimysjärvi, old-growth forests.
- Trails from the north: The distance from the parking area in the north (in the direction of Viiksimo) to Lake Elimysjärvi is about 5 km and about 8 km to Levävaara.
- Services: campfire sites in Heinävaara and Elimyskangas, a lean-to shelter at the Saunaniemi Point of Lake Elimysjärvi.
- Sights: old-growth forests, Lake Elimysjärvi, Levävaara.
- Connection trails: The trail crossing the area and leading northwest in the direction of the Iso-Palonen - Maariansärkät Nature Reserve is part of the UKK Trail (www.kainuu.fi/ulkoilukartta). It is marked in the terrain with blue paint. The trail comes to Kuhmo from North Karelia and continues north to Suomussalmi as Itäraja Summer Hiking Route.